Extra roosters

Kate89

In the Brooder
Jun 4, 2020
Hey I bought 12 chicks and I think over 8 are roosters so we are going to cull them
We are just trying to figure out what age we should wait until as well as because there is so many roosters and only a few hens should I be separating them? will that many rooster hurt my few hens?

How old are your chickens? As long as you get rid of the extra cockerels well before the pullets reach laying egg, your pullets should be fine. The cockerels may start fighting earlier than that, though. We culled our extra cockerel (a barred rock) around 13 weeks since he was big enough to make a pretty good meal by that point.

How old are your chickens? As long as you get rid of the extra cockerels well before the pullets reach laying egg, your pullets should be fine. The cockerels may start fighting earlier than that, though. We culled our extra cockerel (a barred rock) around 13 weeks since he was big enough to make a pretty good meal by that point.
Thanks
They are just over 6 weeks old

Hey I bought 12 chicks and I think over 8 are roosters so we are going to cull them
We are just trying to figure out what age we should wait until as well as because there is so many roosters and only a few hens should I be separating them? will that many rooster hurt my few hens?

Dang. that is a pretty difficult ratio. Good luck.

Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

Please feel free to post pics of your chicks! ;)

What age is best to cull really depends on what your version of cull is and what your goals are in addition to the breed, etc. Cull to me just means eliminate from my flock by whatever means. That could be selling, giving away, or dispatching... either to use as compost, to feed the feral barn cat, or to feed my family. There are truly so many variables!

You should have a few weeks before you have to make any real changes or decisions. Things will vary so much depending on the birds individual personalities, how much space they have. Right now I have ZERO issue with 5 cockerels and 4 pullets at 18 weeks old... Bielefelder. No issues before recently sending 2 cockerels to freezer camp last week either. But that's THIS group.

Other times when I had a bunch of cockerels maturing at the same time and older ladies out on pasture... they would chase the most docile gal and hold her down to take turns mating her. :eek: There was no fighting among-st them! After that I created a stag pen that held ALL boys once identified (about 6-10 weeks) until they reached eating or breeding age.. after gaining some maturity, learning how to control their raging hormones instead of being controlled by them.. then they might get access to the ladies.. only the best of the best! Keeping a stag pen does take scrambling sometimes... but is very doable if that's YOUR preferred route.

Get my picture here.. that YOU will have to roll with what works for YOU as even what works for my friend or neighbor might not work for me. And even what worked for me one time might not work another.. but I don't mean to sound all over the place or confusing.. just saying keep your mind open and figure out which way might be best for you.. switch it up as needed. :)

What breed(s) ya working with? Are ya planning to eat your extra boys or other ideas?

If eating.. age at processing determines possible cooking methods.. younger birds under 16 ish weeks may be grilled or fried.. mid range are great roasted, And much older a best for stewing. They also need to rest long enough for rigor to pass before cooking or you will get an extremely chewy dog treat.

The Bielefelder I processed at 16.5 weeks.. weighed in dressed at 3# 5 oz and has zero fat. It had an excess amount of pin feathers making the final clean up a pain. Although the weight is plenty for me, the antics aren't much and I will be trying every couple weeks to see when is the best age for plucking THIS breed.

When I first started, I skinned birds due to the plucking horror stories. I also processed closer to 30 weeks (Marans, EE, Sussex, etc) as it just took a while to build the courage to take an animals life myself! If skinning, pin feathers are irrelevant and will come off with the skin. I prefer plucking, labor and appearance wise.. it just seems to give me more preparation options. At times we also just cut the meat off the outside of the carcass.. not messing with guts, etc. Ground chicken works well in tacos and such. :drool

Happy adventures! :wee

Two years ago I bought my first flock of chickens (13 of them). I didn't have any experience and they were too young to see their sex (from my amateur point of view I guess) and the guy selling them just said that there are 12 hens and 1 rooster. I ended up with 6 roosters and 7 hens.
Since they grew up together and the space was quite big there was no much violence (occasional peck and some chasing around but never so much that there would be lives in danger), only hens suffered becouse they were all trying to mate with them. In 2 monts after they were mature I managed to sell 4 of them and one ended in a soup pot.
Sorry for the story, my point is you have plenty of time to see how things go and to decide how are you going to deal with them. ☺

Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

Please feel free to post pics of your chicks! ;)

What age is best to cull really depends on what your version of cull is and what your goals are in addition to the breed, etc. Cull to me just means eliminate from my flock by whatever means. That could be selling, giving away, or dispatching... either to use as compost, to feed the feral barn cat, or to feed my family. There are truly so many variables!

You should have a few weeks before you have to make any real changes or decisions. Things will vary so much depending on the birds individual personalities, how much space they have. Right now I have ZERO issue with 5 cockerels and 4 pullets at 18 weeks old... Bielefelder. No issues before recently sending 2 cockerels to freezer camp last week either. But that's THIS group.

Other times when I had a bunch of cockerels maturing at the same time and older ladies out on pasture... they would chase the most docile gal and hold her down to take turns mating her. :eek: There was no fighting among-st them! After that I created a stag pen that held ALL boys once identified (about 6-10 weeks) until they reached eating or breeding age.. after gaining some maturity, learning how to control their raging hormones instead of being controlled by them.. then they might get access to the ladies.. only the best of the best! Keeping a stag pen does take scrambling sometimes... but is very doable if that's YOUR preferred route.

Get my picture here.. that YOU will have to roll with what works for YOU as even what works for my friend or neighbor might not work for me. And even what worked for me one time might not work another.. but I don't mean to sound all over the place or confusing.. just saying keep your mind open and figure out which way might be best for you.. switch it up as needed. :)

What breed(s) ya working with? Are ya planning to eat your extra boys or other ideas?

If eating.. age at processing determines possible cooking methods.. younger birds under 16 ish weeks may be grilled or fried.. mid range are great roasted, And much older a best for stewing. They also need to rest long enough for rigor to pass before cooking or you will get an extremely chewy dog treat.

The Bielefelder I processed at 16.5 weeks.. weighed in dressed at 3# 5 oz and has zero fat. It had an excess amount of pin feathers making the final clean up a pain. Although the weight is plenty for me, the antics aren't much and I will be trying every couple weeks to see when is the best age for plucking THIS breed.

When I first started, I skinned birds due to the plucking horror stories. I also processed closer to 30 weeks (Marans, EE, Sussex, etc) as it just took a while to build the courage to take an animals life myself! If skinning, pin feathers are irrelevant and will come off with the skin. I prefer plucking, labor and appearance wise.. it just seems to give me more preparation options. At times we also just cut the meat off the outside of the carcass.. not messing with guts, etc. Ground chicken works well in tacos and such. :drool

Happy adventures! :wee
Thanks
We have rir mixed with isa chickens
And thanks for all the info! My husband is going to be butchering the extra roosters to feed the family ( I just hope we don’t get to attached! My kids love them already,
But we have been telling them from day 1 that we would be eating any extra roosters so I hope they are ok with it 💁)
These are my chickens!
Still not too sure on how many are actually rooster just have a feeling I have a lot!
They are 6 weeks old

Attachments

• 319ADE90-4BA4-49FF-AF90-9D804E64293D.jpeg
    319ADE90-4BA4-49FF-AF90-9D804E64293D.jpeg
    638.4 KB · Views: 13
  • FC9E6C10-0EC4-4896-8B24-9E05A4998785.jpeg
    FC9E6C10-0EC4-4896-8B24-9E05A4998785.jpeg
    438.5 KB · Views: 13
  • BAC52A80-A6D2-420E-9DAD-43B328C6C83D.jpeg
    BAC52A80-A6D2-420E-9DAD-43B328C6C83D.jpeg
    341 KB · Views: 13
My kids love them already,
But we have been telling them from day 1 that we would be eating any extra roosters so I hope they are ok with it 💁)
These are my chickens!
Still not too sure on how many are actually rooster just have a feeling I have a lot!
What a cute bunch.. I think you're correct, lots of boys there! :love

As worried as I was... the kid took it better than me! Hopefully yours will surprise you as well. I think talking openly from the beginning and having them involved helps a lot to give them their own sense of pride... :fl

Back
Top Bottom