Extra small marans pullet... problem?

wateboe

Songster
11 Years
Sep 8, 2008
Lebanon, Ohio
I have a pair of aprox. 7 week old cuckoo marans pullets. They are probably sisters, but I don't know for sure. When they arrived at about 1 week old they were identical in size an appearance, but at this point one of them is easily twice the size of the other. The little one is eating and drinking and looks healthy, but she is just so tiny that I wonder if I should be doing something extra for her as far as nutrition is concerned.

Any advice?

So long as she's still growing just not quite as fast I wouldn't be too concerned. I had 1 the last hatch that just hasn't gotten as big as the others and I have 1 button quail that is half the size of the others but still doing fine. It's the ones that don't grow at all that seem to have something wrong and don't survive. You could try supplementing some extra protein.

You stated that yours is eating and drinking, so I wouldn't worry.
The only thing I did extra for my smallest chick was to take her aside each day and offer her a bowl of food without the others being there. However, mine has a vision problem and she just wasn't getting enough time to eat with the others around.

Thanks all. I was hoping that would be the answer. She seems fine to me, just very small... and she is a healthy eater.

I am so very thankful to have found BYC. So many helpful people and such a good source of information and friendly support!

Back
Top Bottom