Extreme Cranial Swelling-Graphic pics

Has anyone ever dealt with the swollen head syndrome? There are 2 main reason why I don't think that is what it is..1, he had no respiratory issues before the swelling and none since and 2. none of the others have gotten it or shown any signs of any problem.. But if it can present without the respiratory signs than it could very well be SHS.. In one artlcle I read it said that the symptoms usually last about 10 days so that was another reason I didn't think that was it, but neither of the articles posted above say anything about it running its course in any set amount of time, and one even mentions 'in terminal cases'..Im lost :(

I don't know what this could be, but you should definitely take him to a vet, first because you don't know for sure what he he has (hopefully they will know), and because you can't treat him yourself if you don't know what he has (hopefully there is a treatment for him). You should separate him for sure in case whatever he has is contagious, and keep an eye on your other chickens in case whatever is causing this is environmental.

I have contacted both 'local' vets (within a 2 hour drive from me) and neither will see/treat him.. they "are strictly small pets " ..I have a good friend that is an equine vet and I sent him all of the info a couple days after it started and he is checking with a friend of his that specializes in livestock but so far no luck other than my friend offering to put him to sleep. I don't think that it is something contagious or at least one of the other 18 birds would be showing some symptoms. I live in a very rural area and most people around here are under the impression that 'its just a chicken, kill it and forget about it' ..which is easier said than done.. so basically this forum is my last resort unless my vet friend comes through but thats not looking promising either.. I did just send him a message asking if I could draw a vial of blood and asked if he could run any tests on it that may show something but I dont think he is set up for it..

I live in CT and our state university UConn has an avian diagnostic lab whose number is (860) 486-3738, you may have to dial in a 1 before hand if you are out of state. Usually they put a person on the phone who asks all about symptoms and everything, and because they are a diagnostic lab their job is to figure out what the problem is. They don't charge for phone calls, at least not any of the times I have called. They also referred me to the chicken vet that I use, who I had never heard of before they sent me there (an hour away, we are rural too). You should at least give them a call and see if they can give you a definite answer about what your chicken has and how you might be able to treat, or at least what to expect about him getting better on his own or if it can be fatal.

Most big universities have diagnostic labs like that, but some only do post-mortem diagnostics. You could try to see if any universities in your area offer phone call diagnostics.

Thank you Amnich, I will call them first thing Monday( unless you know if they are open on the weekends?) We do have a university about 3 hours away and they have an ag dept, I will try them too.. 6LittleHens, where are you seeing only in hens? I must have over looked that, I know that the one says primarily in egg-layers but I thought that was referring to breed and not sex?

I think Im going to call the extension service too, maybe they can tell me someone/somewhere that can help even if they cant

My only two thoughts would be cellulitis or hydrocephalus. It appears the swelling has spread down the roo's neck and prescapular, however doesn't directly involve the wattles or comb. Since domestic birds don't have lymph nodes like mammals, this swelling is not lymphatic.

Cellulitis can be treated w/ antibiotics such as penicillin, cephalexin, or erythromycin. You mentioned having already administered antibiotics. What was the drug and the regiment (fed, subcutaneous, or intramuscular injection)? Some literature indicates intramuscular antibiotic regiments are more effective for cellulitis. See
https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/medicine-chart for medication dosing and explanations.

Have you tried a fine needle aspiration of the area? This will help determine if its simply subcutaneous or otherwise.

As far as hydrocephalus is concerned, its either congenital or acquired. Both typically require surgical intervention to reduce swelling, however use of corticosteroids and diuretics is also suggested in animals. Vitamin A supplementation was also mentioned. With regards to diuretics, dexamethasone, furosemide or mannitol are all prescription. Natural diuretics include dandelion greens and ginger root - and coffee. Not sure how willing your roo would be to drinking any of these.

If it were congenital, its likely it would have been present from hatching and would not have taken 10 weeks to develop. Atop that, you didn't indicate any adverse neurological symptoms, considering he seems to behave normal aside from a "big head." The acquired variety is caused by environmental factors. What part of the country do you live in. SW or west of the Rockies? I did run across some literature which suggested ingestion of Veratrum californicum (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veratrum_californicum) could induce hydrocephalus in livestock.

Back
Top Bottom