Extreme Wry Neck!

silverpenguin

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2020
I have a new born chick that has super bad wry neck; it can support it for a short while but then basically drags its head on the floor, pretty much upside down.

I am giving it 25mcg of selenium a day and 2x 500ui of vit E. Along with feeding it through a blended mixture of high vit E ruffage / water.

I give it water through a pipette as well as its food and "medicine".

Its difficult to do this but I am prepared to. I occasionally give it some sugar or honey water for energy, its now 1.5 days old.

I know hatchlings can survive on the yolk for 3 days ish but im just trying to ensure it does not suddenly get weak.

Can someone tell me the following:

1) how much water should I ensure it gets a day? (I cannot leave water in there as I fear it will drown,yes its isolated)
2) Would you recommend I change my approach / add to it??
3) its not eating (though it does try sometimes) it could be full still from yolk but if it starts to get weak what should I do?

Its friendly chick who already comes to me when it hears my voice, any advice would be great. Please be blunt and straight forward so I do not misunderstand.

much appreciated, very new to dealing with a new born chick with such bad wry neck! any wry neck I have come across it was never this bad!

I have one too that is suffering it is three weeks old and it just started this Saturday night Sunday morning it was holding his head up now it is down dragging I can’t get anyone to answer on my thread I have been giving mine starting today vitamin E 400 IU’s with an eyedropper and about three times a day I give crushed vitamin B complex mixed in with water I am minister with the eyedropper I just can’t figure out how I’m supposed to feed it with mash with a little bit of scrambled egg I don’t know how to feed it and I don’t know how much water it actually needs my husband has seen it drink water and I have witnessed it eat dry food

They say it takes several weeks or even months to see any signs of improvement I wish you all the luck

I have one too that is suffering it is three weeks old and it just started this Saturday night Sunday morning it was holding his head up now it is down dragging I can’t get anyone to answer on my thread I have been giving mine starting today vitamin E 400 IU’s with an eyedropper and about three times a day I give crushed vitamin B complex mixed in with water I am minister with the eyedropper I just can’t figure out how I’m supposed to feed it with mash with a little bit of scrambled egg I don’t know how to feed it and I don’t know how much water it actually needs my husband has seen it drink water and I have witnessed it eat dry food

They say it takes several weeks or even months to see any signs of improvement I wish you all the luck

The chick is actually doing well, we had some issues getting it to take food because it couldnt pick up chick crumb.

so here is what we did (with good results so far)

day zero of treatment: We created a smoothie with spinach, sugar and water and gave this soloution to it (it could not lift its head at all so had to wrap in a cloth and do it this way). later on with gave it 25-30mcg of selenium and 500-600IU of vit E.. made it comfortable and isolated it...

Day one: It had already improved, only enough to perk its head a little off the floor, any stress would be the head would be on the floor, so caught it on a good moment to try and feed it. We were getting worried about the yolk store running out and it still not eating a lot as it could not pick up and eat chick crum (it would either miss the food due to depth perception issues or just not be able to swallow/crush it).. We mixed the chick crumb with water and made a paste, it loves it! we are so happy its able to eat this by itself and we are mixing the meds with the chick crumb for that boost and to reduce stress. (we had a tiny spraddle leg chick we put in with it for company)

Day two: even stronger now, takes water from a spoon still cannot eat so well but we do not mind due to the paste being ok for it. it appears stronger and more energetic still a long way to go though but im confident we have a good shot at this.

The chick is actually doing well, we had some issues getting it to take food because it couldnt pick up chick crumb.

so here is what we did (with good results so far)

day zero of treatment: We created a smoothie with spinach, sugar and water and gave this soloution to it (it could not lift its head at all so had to wrap in a cloth and do it this way). later on with gave it 25-30mcg of selenium and 500-600IU of vit E.. made it comfortable and isolated it...

Day one: It had already improved, only enough to perk its head a little off the floor, any stress would be the head would be on the floor, so caught it on a good moment to try and feed it. We were getting worried about the yolk store running out and it still not eating a lot as it could not pick up and eat chick crum (it would either miss the food due to depth perception issues or just not be able to swallow/crush it).. We mixed the chick crumb with water and made a paste, it loves it! we are so happy its able to eat this by itself and we are mixing the meds with the chick crumb for that boost and to reduce stress. (we had a tiny spraddle leg chick we put in with it for company)

Day two: even stronger now, takes water from a spoon still cannot eat so well but we do not mind due to the paste being ok for it. it appears stronger and more energetic still a long way to go though but im confident we have a good shot at this.
can you share the smoothie recipe? I just cannot get it to eat eggs. it was eating well before his head starting hanging.

Attachments

• 108529_MAIN._AC_SS190_V1482334899_.jpg
    108529_MAIN._AC_SS190_V1482334899_.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom