Extremely concerned about my niece!

Cindiloohoo

Quiet as a Church Mouse
14 Years
Dec 19, 2009
Southwest TN
My little 6 year old niece(my little avatar girl) is very sick in the hospital. She was admitted today. She went to the Dr. yesterday with a white blood cell count of 20000, normal is supposed to be between 8000-10000 from what I can gather. She had a shot yesterday that was supposed to drop that number fast, and today it was still 18000 so they admitted her. I just have so many questions! When I left she had a temp of 103.1, she won't eat and claims food makes her tummy hurt. She barely drinks, they have her on IV fluids. They think maybe it is something viral. I spent 4 hours at the hospital with her this afternoon. I wanted to stay the night but circumstances beyond my control yadda yadda...had to be home. For those who are medically inclined or nurses...could you help me understand what is going on with my girl?! How serious could this be? You have to understand our relationship, her mother is nowhere around, and for all intents and purposes she is MY baby, always has been, and she will tell ya that
lol.png
Anyway, we are very close...and I just cannot fathom how in the world she went from fine one day to looking like a little shadow of her former self so quickly. I took her some dried bananas which is her favorite snack that ONLY Aunt Cindi makes for her, and she ate maybe 5 slices
hit.gif
She sually can put down 4 banans worth without blinking. I am so worried about her!!!! I HATE not being able to "fix it"
barnie.gif
barnie.gif
Please for those of you who do, pray for her. I have called everyone I know to have them praying for my baby girl. Never hurts to have a few thousand more
smile.png
Out of her school....70 kids were out today, very small school, usually peak of flu season they have maybe 30 out....this is a devastating virus IF that is what it is. Will update whenever I know anything..meanwhile, please remember my Hannah girl.

Those symptoms are the same as my son's were when his appendix burst - his bowel had thickened and wrapped around the appendix and it kept the poison encapsulated so it didn't kill him. We were worried sick for the 10 hours it took them to figure it out.

UGH, that is scary Deb! I hope that is NOT what it is. I want my baby well
sad.png
She is supposed to spend her Christmas vacation with me and we have BIG PLANS
wink.png
Poor little thing just wanted me to hold her the whole time I was at the hospital....I felt bad leaving, but mom was with her.
sad.png

I would also think Viral Infection as a most likely point to start.

As Cindiloowho said, many of the area school children are out with
some sort of infection at this time.

But lets hope and pray that the doctors find the reason quickly. A sick
child is never fun. I've spent a few nights walking those hospital halls.

It could be many things. But lets hope for a simple fix.

(Cindiloowho....My big baby is a Hana also. She turned 11 in October. But
my big baby, she'll always be.)

Praying...

Quote:
Thanks Spook, that means a great deal to me
hugs.gif

Thanks redhen & arabianequine for yur thoughts and prayers as well.
hugs.gif

I just talked to mom, her fever is down to 99.3 right now, and she has eaten a small piece of chicken strip my aunt brought her. I HOPE she continues to eat, I think that is the most important thing right now.

Quote:
That's what I was thinking. Symptoms come on suddenly and resemble the flu. Bad thing is, after a few hours the symptoms go away which means the appendix ruptured meaning they don't have long to get it out.

Hope she gets better
hugs.gif
It's always scary for a kid when they go through that. My DD is 6 and I would feel so awful and helpless if I were in that situation

Quote:
That's what I was thinking. Symptoms come on suddenly and resemble the flu. Bad thing is, after a few hours the symptoms go away which means the appendix ruptured meaning they don't have long to get it out.

Hope she gets better
hugs.gif
It's always scary for a kid when they go through that. My DD is 6 and I would feel so awful and helpless if I were in that situation

She isn't hurting in the area of her appendix. She is hurting around her navel when she eats. Could that still be it?

Quote:

Hope she gets better
hugs.gif

She isn't hurting in the area of her appendix. She is hurting around her navel when she eats. Could that still be it?

Possibly.

I am not a nurse, but my mother is an RN and my father is an internal medicine physician so this was the kind of stuff they made conversation with. We were once asked to keep our voices down at an Applebees because we were talking about staph infections and disgusting other patrons.

Unfortunately, a lot of conditions/diseases/issues begin with "flu-like symptoms" so it's always better to be safe than sorry.

Back
Top Bottom