Extremely late coturnix quail hatch

BradLimer

In the Brooder
Mar 9, 2017
I am incubating 56 quail eggs at 99.5%. 1 was born on day 18. 4 were born on day 19. 1 was born on day 20. One more was born today but died. Today is day 23. I opened up the incubator to call it quits. I gently rolled all the eggs around. One is now cut most the way around. It and a few other eggs started shaking after I rolled them. Anyone had a crazy experience like this? Brand new incubator. Humidity levels were fine. Nothing weird at all during incubation. Temp stayed at 37.5° C, and had brief falls to 37.3°. These are Jumbo browns. Should they take longer than regular size, or what am I missing?

Sounds like low incubation temp. Or severe cool spots.

Most of my jumbo hatch day 17 or 18.

Did you check the incubator thermometer with an accurate secondary thermometer?

I didn't, only because it is a brand new digital incubator. It has a fan, so shouldn't have cold spots either. I heard low temperature can delay the hatch, but eggs still moving and progressing on day 23 sounds crazy.

What type of incubator?

A couple degrees can delay a hatch for 2 or 3 days.

I had a new LG that was off almost 3 degrees when checked against a known to be accurate thermo.

What type of incubator?

A couple degrees can delay a hatch for 2 or 3 days.

I had a new LG that was off almost 3 degrees when checked against a known to be accurate thermo.

I agree, I've also heard of brand new LG or other brand names not having their thermometer calibrated properly :O Read about it when researching my initial incubation :)

I'm not familiar with this type of incubator.

Sorry I can't help with this one.

My suggestion double check the thermometer reading. And make sure the fan is running.

Back
Top Bottom