Extremely late coturnix quail hatch

Discussion in 'Quail' started by BradLimer, May 6, 2017.

1. BradLimer

BradLimer Just Hatched

Mar 9, 2017
    I am incubating 56 quail eggs at 99.5%. 1 was born on day 18. 4 were born on day 19. 1 was born on day 20. One more was born today but died. Today is day 23. I opened up the incubator to call it quits. I gently rolled all the eggs around. One is now cut most the way around. It and a few other eggs started shaking after I rolled them. Anyone had a crazy experience like this? Brand new incubator. Humidity levels were fine. Nothing weird at all during incubation. Temp stayed at 37.5° C, and had brief falls to 37.3°. These are Jumbo browns. Should they take longer than regular size, or what am I missing?

2. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Sounds like low incubation temp. Or severe cool spots.

Most of my jumbo hatch day 17 or 18.

Did you check the incubator thermometer with an accurate secondary thermometer?

3. BradLimer

BradLimer Just Hatched

Mar 9, 2017
    I didn't, only because it is a brand new digital incubator. It has a fan, so shouldn't have cold spots either. I heard low temperature can delay the hatch, but eggs still moving and progressing on day 23 sounds crazy.

4. feedman77

Jun 10, 2013
    What type of incubator?

A couple degrees can delay a hatch for 2 or 3 days.

I had a new LG that was off almost 3 degrees when checked against a known to be accurate thermo.

5. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada

I agree, I've also heard of brand new LG or other brand names not having their thermometer calibrated properly :O Read about it when researching my initial incubation :)

6. chickmashnoon

chickmashnoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Just eavesdropping in and was curious if there is long term damage to the chicks that hatch so late.

7. BradLimer

BradLimer Just Hatched

Mar 9, 2017
    It is an HHD incubator. Bought it through Amazon.

8. feedman77

Jun 10, 2013
    I'm not familiar with this type of incubator.

Sorry I can't help with this one.

My suggestion double check the thermometer reading. And make sure the fan is running.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by