Extremely mean rooster

How old is the Chicken. Is he young under a year(Cockerel), or one year, & over?(Rooster)

If he's still young, it may still be possible to teach him manners. Method I use is the FootBall method.
I pick them up like a football if they kick me up my legs. I hold them nice, & tight, but not squeezing for about a minute.

My main way of taming is from day 1, & beyond. I hold them, & wear the color red(Optional). There's only 3 butt heads in my flock. 1 bantam silkie that likes biting me, a Porcelain D'uccle who likes to bite me occasionally, one time he actually attacked my face(Years ago), & a Black Sumatra named Demon. He kicks me up my legs occasionally, & when he does, I use that method I mentioned above. It's been a good 3½ weeks since he did it last.

If I can't tame them, we eat them. No highly aggressive roosters allowed.

Okay? Didn't see anyone getting mad at your idea. People just want to know more about it.
Agreed. I am genuinely curious about this and have one guy that I'm anxious to try it on. Even if it doesn't work for everyone, it may work for some. Offering personal experience is never discouraged @Revelation

Please protect yourself if you attempt some of the rehabilitation methods. Some birds will bite whatever they can get, your face included, if they're restrained. Protect your eyes and your face. Remember that anyone that's a regular in the household will generally have to preform these exercises (er...... exorcisoms may fit here) if the bird is attacking them too. This isn't possible for many children and even if it was, I certainly wouldn't advise it. You must have a confidence about you and many children just don't have the mentality of acting like this in a believable way. Just be careful, which I'm sure you are anyway. I'm just offering a polite reminder. I do wish you the very best and nothing less

Last edited:
My answer is to have a great dinner out of him. Sorry but a destructive animal is not a good thing to have on the farm.
o gosh , i know what you mean , i had a new Hampshire red roo he started being mean right after 12 weeks old , as he got older he just became worse , but as soon as he started, his bad behavior i got into his head and soon he became afraid of me, but would try to hurt others who came on my land and that roo would be right after them , i could not have that , he was free range, so eventually i put hin a pen were he could see all the hens and was never alone , but just could not attack any one, after living with him i learned from him how not to let that happen ever again , the next batch of chicks i ordered , i got 4 roos one of each breed i ordered, to become fathers of each breed, and i penned them all up to grow up together they were near the hens but could not get loose, they had nice big pens 20' x 20' even had trees in their pens ,and little houses , all my flock are free range , so every day when i would go to check on them , i would feed them treats & talk to them, as i do all my chickens , they all know certain words and what they mean , but soon i found out roos go thru a stage that comes before a 1 year old, so the roos i penned up went thought that stage of development just hanging out together & were not able to chase people off and become mean , if roos are kept controlled they dont seem to develop any bad behaviors ,so after a year i let the roos out to free range with my flock and it worked out fine they knew i was the boss and i had no problems with them ,but before letting them out i made sure they did not act badly towards me, i would go in their pens regularly to feed them treats from around 12 weeks old and as they grew, i had 2 roos per pen that got along well..! so they would not try to kill each other, when my back was turned., so you might try to pen up your mean roo, it could help to try that and do what i did i dont know for sure since i tamed mine from the age of 12 weeks on so you could try that , it might work you never know till you try, but you should become his kind treat delivery person so no need to chase you off...!!! & thats what we hope your roo will remember, and stop his original meanness. .i would not let him out with your flock until you can go in his pen with him and he is not acting mean towards you ..!! that could be about a year or so, all depending on just how mean he is..?? im sure its like training any dog or any other animal , but still a mean roo should never become a breeder to pass along his mean streak...!!! or eventually your chicks turned into hens can act like their father..!!! & take on the same problem meanness..!!!!! , so dont let him pass that meanness along..! to any of your future chicks dont let him become the father of your flock or you will wish you didnt..!!! i know i lived with a very mean roo {{{{ killer}}}}..!!! but i used his meanness to my advantage, i trained him to not be mean towards me , and he did what i said mostly , i would let him out to guard my land at night when my husband was in hospital , when i was home alone at night , he was just like a watch dog and i had beware of dangerous rooster signs on my property ..!so think on how to train a dog , its similar but the roo must be under your control...!!! at all times ..!!! until you change his mind..!!! so he wont remember how he acted before and always be kind , sorry thats all i got , but it might work with your older roo..?? its actually brain washing , and you are in charge so good luck ...!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom