Extremely swollen feet/bumblefoot?

dawgie

Hatching
Aug 7, 2022
Hello! I've never written on this forum before but my family and I could really use some help on determining what is wrong with one of our chickens.
Here are some photos: (let me know if you can't see them)

Her feet have been getting worse over some time. We didn't think it was bumblefoot because there was no apparent scab(s) on either of her feet when they started to appear swollen. Right now, a scab has appeared out of no where (looks like a patch of dirt on one of the photos) which is why I thought maybe it is bumblefoot? but this is the only time I've seen a scab on her foot since the swelling started a few weeks ago. She is still interested in eating and drinking, but she is very skinny, mainly sits all day in the shade, but still makes an effort to walk sometimes. Her comb does not look very healthy, it looks limp but it is still a bit red. We have been soaking her feet in epsom salt lately but nothing has really changed.

Any help is appreciated!

Gout tends to cause the lumpy appearance of the whole foot and toes. MS (mycoplasma synovitis) causes enlarged ankles and hocks in chickens. Some vets may even mistake one for the other. MS is a bacterial infection that causes the arthritis in the joints. It is difficult to treat even with antibiotics.

Back
Top Bottom