EYE emergency- bottom "lid" sagging - PICTURE

Tracyree

Songster
12 Years
May 6, 2011
My 7 week old silkie has developed an eye problem today. Any idea what this could be? The bottom lid is sagging and exposing some flesh under the eye. That flesh seems to come up over the eye just a bit, but I'm not sure. It doesn't seem to be oozing. I washed with purified water and will get saline eye wash tomorrow.

Sickness? Injury??

6131341789_520e37d6e9_z.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know what this is but I am having the same issue in several chickens, just noticed this morning. There is also some sneezing, but very minor.

I JUST changed them from pine shavings to coastal hay as bedding, and was thinking maybe some of them were having a reaction to the change in environment.

Did you make any changes recently? Is it both eyes or 1 eye?

It just looks like an infection to me. If it was my silkie, I'd get some Terramycin eye ointment (local feed store or vet) and apply it several times throughout the day. It's an antibiotic in a very tiny tube for about $13. I've used it on turkeys, chickens, cats and dogs for eye infections. In fact, it's the same eye ointment a vet gives you for your cats or dogs after you pay the outlandish office visit fee
wink.png

Quote:
I should have specified, it's only one eye and I did make major change a few days ago. We went from pine shavings to sand. My first thought was that it has sand in it's eye. I hope that's all it is and a few washes will take care of it, but I'm nervous that it's sick.

I'll get the antibiotic ointment tomorrow.

I have the exact same thing in 2 of my chicks. One is quite bad and the other is starting to look red and I think it's going the same way, both of them have it in one eye each.

Poor wee things, I feel so bad for them! I seperated them from the other chicks in case its contagious but now theyre all upset and calling to each other across the room.

Quote:
I should have specified, it's only one eye and I did make major change a few days ago. We went from pine shavings to sand. My first thought was that it has sand in it's eye. I hope that's all it is and a few washes will take care of it, but I'm nervous that it's sick.

I'll get the antibiotic ointment tomorrow.

I've noticed with this ointment that it takes a good solid 3 days of at least 3 applications a day before you see an improvement. But it does work. Hopefully it is possibly just a grit of sand, but I doubt it. Good luck!

don't get nervous yet
wink.png
The symptoms for pneumonia are the same as a common cold and a respiratory infection among others...it's a process of deduction. Try the eye antibiotic first, but feed your chicken some scrambled egg (high in protein) and give extra vitamins in the water as well. It always helps
wink.png

Quote:
Thank you. Just what i needed to hear. Now, can I learn to be as levelheaded??

Back
Top Bottom