EYE have a chicken with an EYE problem....HELP PLEASE

GretaGarboFirst

Songster
6 Years
Sep 29, 2013
Massachusetts
I have a 2 yr. old chicken who closed her left eye 4 days ago. It was suggested to me to use NEOSPORIN (without pain ingred.) in her eye. I did that with some improvement but stopped because the tube said not to use it in eyes.

Currently, her eye is wide open but there seems to be a swollen circular "ring" around her eye. I have ordered TERAMYCIN from Jeffers but it has not arrived yet.

Does anyone have thoughts as to what I can do for my chicken "Sunshine"? Has anyone used Neosporin or Teramycin? Any idea of frequency of application of these meds.? Remedies or ideas are all appreciated. Thanks

My EE has this! It was so bad some nights it would close up. This is her second time it would get really severe. I would use a damp paper towel to allow it to open up. She has a red ring. She is only a yr. old. I give her antibiotics in the flocks water and it would clear up. I do not currently know what the brand is called but we cannot eat the eggs during the medication time. Can you post a picture? I will try to get back on the brand name soon. The infection hasn't seem to disappear entirely but i think it will never fully go away. I believe it is sime respiratory problem that affects the sinuses area. I would recommend buying the brand asap because her eye kept getting worse before we gave it to our hen. I am currently out but when i return home i will report to you what the brand is.

Last edited:
I have a 2 yr. old chicken who closed her left eye 4 days ago. It was suggested to me to use NEOSPORIN (without pain ingred.) in her eye. I did that with some improvement but stopped because the tube said not to use it in eyes.

Currently, her eye is wide open but there seems to be a swollen circular "ring" around her eye. I have ordered TERAMYCIN from Jeffers but it has not arrived yet.

Does anyone have thoughts as to what I can do for my chicken "Sunshine"? Has anyone used Neosporin or Teramycin? Any idea of frequency of application of these meds.? Remedies or ideas are all appreciated. Thanks
Your chicken could have a respiratory infection, since conjunctivitis is one of the symptoms. Is there any evidence that the chickens was pecked around the eye? Mycoplasma (MG) and coryza are 2 resp. diseases that can cause swelling around an eye from sinus infection, but other bacteria such as E.coli and some viruses could as well. I have used plain Neosporin in my chicken's eye when it was injured. It is not for use in humans' eye because it isn't guaranteed sterile, but I would use it in an emergency in my chickens' eyes. Neosporin Sterile Ophthalmic Ointment is fine for eyes, but very $$$, and requires a prescription. Terramycin is a good substitute, and Vetericyn eye gel is also good.
Here is a good link that includes respiratory diseases and their symptoms: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

I'm battling the same thing now. I used oxytetracycline 200 injection. I gave it to her yesterday and she seems to be doing little better today.

I use Sulmet (sulfamethazine sodium) that goes into their drinking water. Last time my hen had the eye problem it was borderline at the place of her possibly losing her eyesight since it was swollen. It did miracles to her.

I had a similar problem with my last hatch. It started when they were around 2 months old. I read that it was likely to be a viral infection, but added antibiotics to their water and bathed their eyes and used drops. Regardless, they seemed not to get better and i was going to cull them. Someone asked if she could have them, as from her experience this kind of infection goes away on its own. Two weeks later she reported that they had all recovered and are doing great. I guess their immune system kicked in, and whilst they may carry the virus, they do not show any symptoms (a bit like malaria in humans).

Thank you. I actually think the chicken was poked with a stick from my little granddaughter. Initially the eye was closed with no swelling. Then I tried neosporin but stopped it. That is when the swelling began. It looks like a reaction to the original injury. I read the respiratory information and I am quite sure this does not seem to be the case. Does anyone suggest using meds. in the water in addition to the neosporin?

I just checked on my chicken and I believe the Neosporin is helping. Swelling is going down and eye is open. The only bad news is my husband was trying to help by holding the chicken and it pooped on him.......EYE think I lost my assistant !@!!!!

Back
Top Bottom