Eye infection help

Madi131

Songster
Jun 12, 2019
Perryville Missouri
Noticed this a few days ago, I cleaned it with a warm rag and used some vetericyn on it. Not sure what to do.
20200926_180323.jpg
20200926_180254.jpg
20200926_180305.jpg
then that's his normal eye. Hes already separated from the flock, hes my extra roo so hes been by himself for a long time.

It is not a respiratory problem, they were all treated for upper and lower respiratory last week as a precaution because I had some hens sneezing and mucus.. probably just the temp change but wanted to he safe.

He has swelling and inflammation of the conjunctiva (pink eye,) and bubbles in the eye, which can be a sign of MG, a respiratory disease. Possibly, he could have been pecked in the eye. Is there any sneeze or nasal drainage? Have you had any birds in the flock before who have had a respiratory infection? Have you added any new birds recently?

It is not a respiratory problem, they were all treated for upper and lower respiratory last week as a precaution because I had some hens sneezing and mucus.. probably just the temp change but wanted to he safe.
There is no way to treat birds to prevent a respiratory infection. If another bird had some symptoms, then this is most likely the same thing. What are you using to treat the others who were sick? I would clean his eye with saline eye wash twice daily and apply a dab of Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin 2 times daily. An antibiotic such as Tylosin can be ordered online to treat MG symptoms. I would close the flock to new birds or never rehome any that you have, since they can be carriers. Testing is a good way to identify what disease for sure that you are seeing. Here is some reading about MG:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/ext... Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

We havent gotten any new birds in a few months, and hes been isolated on the opposite side of the yard from the birds besidesa few roosters he gets to go in the yard with. I say its not respiratory because we just finished the 7 day tylosin treatment like 2 days ago... wouldnt that have prevented "mg"? This is the only bird that has any eye problems. Even when I was tube feeding a chicken for her respiratory infection, we didnt know what it was at first until she got really bad, her eyes didnt look like this. I imagine it's just an infection from fighting with another rooster. It's only on one side.

Pretty sure I’ve read you can also use terramycin in chicken eyes. You should be able to find some in a farm store in the sheep section? I think. Small yellow box with a smaller tube of ointment.

He has swelling and inflammation of the conjunctiva (pink eye,) and bubbles in the eye, which can be a sign of MG, a respiratory disease. Possibly, he could have been pecked in the eye. Is there any sneeze or nasal drainage? Have you had any birds in the flock before who have had a respiratory infection? Have you added any new birds recently?
I only have had one other bird with a known respiratory infection. But it was a few months ago and she was the only one that got infected. I didnt see this reply before. It's not like that at all is also why I say its not a respiratory infection. I had to clean the girls beak/throat, nose, face etc, every day from the mucus. I check him over for mucus and watched him for a good while when I was sitting with the ducks. No coughing or sneezing. Just lots and lots of crowing and trying to fight with another rooster through his cage. Hes been kept in his cage from now on until I get him better. I read the MG article and he also doesn't have any of those symptoms besides the eye.

He has not been around the one who had the respiratory infection at all. Separate sides of the yard, and anyway the article said its unlikely to transfer through cage to cage.

The article on MG lists all of the possible symptoms. When a bird has bubbles in an eye and has conjunctivitis (pinkeye,) they may not have any other symptoms, but they can still have MG. What you need to know about any respiratory infection in even one bird in your flock, is that the others can then also become infected. They may not show symptoms right away, but when there is stress, such as during molt or extreme cold, then symptoms may show up. You can get some testing to confirm, or just treat symptoms. But once you have a respiratory illness, you should never rehome birds. Most people close their flocks, because until all birds are gone, any new bird could get sick from carriers.

Back
Top Bottom