eye infection...need ideas?

Quote:
Keep up with the saline. If there is something in there it might come on out. I asked about where the spot was because last year I had a bigger chick with an infection. There was a yellow, whitish mass in the corner of the eye. I had to squeeze this thing out. It felt rubbery and it was huge. I couldn't believe this thing came out of the chicks eye. Let me see if I can find the thread.

Cammy, would TSC have tylan? Is it a liquid or oitment or what? Sara, that would be great! I am leaving to go to MILs soon, wont be checking in as much just so ya'll dont think I took your assistance and ran ;-)

SWOLLEN EYE? my hen needs some help (PICS)
Go to the search engine and type in the above.

The pics are gone now but a interesting read. Let me see if I can find the pics in my albums.

Last edited:
well it looks like he is opening it MUCH more today, and the swelling is still present but has gone done some. However, I think it is too late for his vision in that eye. The eye is glassy and almost bubbled and grayish. Idk how else to explain it than that. I am going to do the treatment again this evening to see if I can at least get rid of the swelling and I am hoping to get the terramycin tmrw evening. I dont think he likes be alone lol...he was all happy when I opened up the top of his cage. And he has stopped itching so much too, so I am liking at least the outcome so far...I am almost afraid his eyeball is going to just fall out... it almost looks like it could the way it is bubbled out! I wouldnt know what to do then!

I went to TSC today and they didn't have anything I could use :-( No terramycin ointment (tablets yes, but they're HUGE and would never be able to be dosed for a chick), Tylan 50 they had was also only in injectable form and would have been impossible to dose esp since I have no clue on Lefty's weight which can't be even close to the 7 pounds for 1ml. Everything else they had didn't sound or look familiar at all and nothing was prescribed for chicken use: cattle and swine use ONLY. :-( I did manage to find some eye infection medication called NFZ Puffer for cats and dogs and am considering using it. It's a powder you put in their eye and is .2% nitrofurazone. What do you all think, should I use it? I also found some poultry nutritional drench that I am going to add to his water. He actually seems even a bit less swollen today after his treatment again last night with saline and bacitracin but the eye still bugs out funny and is glassy. I wish I could get close enough to take a pic of what I mean but my camera stinke and anything wth lots of flash blinds the poor guy more.

Back
Top Bottom