Eye Injury from attack

ClaraCluckChicken

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 11, 2017
Hi! I posted a few days ago about one of my 1yo Buff Orpington hens who got attacked by a dog. Her eyes have been swollen shut since and I’ve been putting opthalmic ointment on them. Today I noticed they are starting to get a scab like substance between the eyelids. Is this a bad sign? What are the chances she will still be able to see? It’s been two days since the attack.

Attachments

• 4F64933F-E09A-4A1E-A05F-3E28DB45406B.jpeg
    4F64933F-E09A-4A1E-A05F-3E28DB45406B.jpeg
    604 KB · Views: 8
I would clean her eye with a warm washcloth to get the gunk off. Let it sit for a few heat may help a bit. Is she on antibiotics? Animal bites are nasty. Tsc usually sells it. Is she eating and drinking? Save a chick or vitamin in her water to give her a boost. Can she see with her other eye?

I would clean her eye with a warm washcloth to get the gunk off. Let it sit for a few heat may help a bit. Is she on antibiotics? Animal bites are nasty. Tsc usually sells it. Is she eating and drinking? Save a chick or vitamin in her water to give her a boost. Can she see with her other eye?
I’ve been giving her electrolyte water and she does seem to be eating. Not when I try to get her to but the food will be missing when I come back. Both eyes are the same. She is not on antibiotics, couldn’t find any for poultry at TSC. I do have vitamins though but haven’t given them to her yet! So she’s basically on electrolytes, food, eye ointment and vetricyn spray. She’s lively and doing all of the broody things with her little chick which gives me hope. But I don’t know if I’m prepared for her to always be blind.

It is a good idea to clean of any drainage from the eyes so it doesn’t form a crust. A warm epwet compress may be held onto the eye to soak of any hard to remove crust. Putting a dab of antibiotc ointment into the eye 2-3 times a day will also help to keep the eyelids from sticking together. Do you eyeballs appear intact or damaged from the wound? Sometimes it take a few days for swelling to go down to see what damage there is. Hopefully she will be able to see out of one eye at least.

It is a good idea to clean of any drainage from the eyes so it doesn’t form a crust. A warm epwet compress may be held onto the eye to soak of any hard to remove crust. Putting a dab of antibiotc ointment into the eye 2-3 times a day will also help to keep the eyelids from sticking together. Do you eyeballs appear intact or damaged from the wound? Sometimes it take a few days for swelling to go down to see what damage there is. Hopefully she will be able to see out of one eye at least.

I just cleaned the gunk from the eyelids and I can see her eyes in there and I think they appear ok? I could see them the day after the attack too when I was cleaning her up. I think her eyelids are just too swollen to open them. I put more ointment on after cleaning them. I’ve been putting it on 3/day since the day after so hopefully they are helping. I gave her 1cc of vitamins too! I’m really hopeful her eyes will be ok!

Good news!! Glad there are eyes in there. I think once the swelling goes down she will try to open them. Warm wet compresses, ointment and tlc. Did she suffer any other injuries from the dog?

Good news!! Glad there are eyes in there. I think once the swelling goes down she will try to open them. Warm wet compresses, ointment and tlc. Did she suffer any other injuries from the dog?
She lost a lot of feathers and has some wounds from that but they aren’t deep cuts, just seem to be the first layer, for lack of better term. It also almost looks like she has a bruise by her wing on her back. But she uses her wings, walks fine, pooping, etc. I think if we could get her eyes open and if she could see that’s be huge for her.

Back
Top Bottom