Eye Injury - Help!

Apr 15, 2020
Hi All

My cochin has developed a very red and swollen eye. Only one eye is like this. I noticed it yesterday and it was half open then. Today it’s completely swollen shut.
Some possibilities:
-the pollen where I am is TERRIBLE. Could it be that or is that not a thing in chickens?
-she just got back to her normal self after raising 4 babies. The flock seems to be picking on her. Maybe one of them pecked her?
-I read respiratory issues show in the eye. I tried to listen to her breathing but i honestly don’t know what I should be listening for.
Any suggestions?
I attached photos. One of the good eye and one of the bad. Thank you!

Attachments

• 69F011C9-56D0-4560-AA62-768D2A32AF29.jpeg
    69F011C9-56D0-4560-AA62-768D2A32AF29.jpeg
    423.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 3F8F5363-0CC1-48D5-B1B8-68EA9D076FD0.jpeg
    3F8F5363-0CC1-48D5-B1B8-68EA9D076FD0.jpeg
    400.3 KB · Views: 7
That side of her face looks pretty swollen. Usual treatment for an eye issue is to flush it out really well with sterile saline or eye wash, make sure there is no debris or pus in there (if there is pus it needs to be gotten out or the meds won't do any good). Then apply terramycin eye ointment (many tractor supply stores carry it) or plain neosporin to the eye twice a day. If there are bubbles in the eye, that can often indicated a respiratory issue, also discharge from the eyes, nares or beak, wheezing, coughing or sneezing. Look inside the beak and into the throat as far as you can see to see if there are any plaques or lesions. If you suspect a respiratory infection then a vet can do some testing to ID that and recommend treatment if needed. Some respiratory diseases can be treated, some are chronic and the birds become carriers. If it's an injury, then hopefully the ointment will give you some improvement.

Thank you! I did some warm compresses and neosporin and it’s still swollen but definitely going down a lot. Of course she’s broody again which is how she got herself into this mess to begin with!

Back
Top Bottom