Eye Injury or Infection?

TimLewallen

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2017
Thanks for the assist! I'm a new chicken daddy!

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Rhode Island Red, approximately 8-9 weeks old. I don't know the weight but it looks to be the same size and weight of the other chickens I bought at the same time so I don't think it has lost weight.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
It seems to be a bit less active and it tends to face the bad eye away from the rest of the chickens. It tends to stay in corners as well.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
I first noticed it this past Sunday, two days ago. Before that I examined the chickens on Friday before I went camping and I did not notice any symptoms.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
None of the other birds are sick that I can see. They all seem to be behaving normally.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
I don't see any bleeding. There appears to be either swelling or perhaps puss coming from the eye. No other signs of injury.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
No idea.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
I have been feeding them chick grower crumbles and chick grit. Regular supply of water. Some table scrap veggies.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
No idea.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Nothing so far. I just found this.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird until you can get to a vet?
I would like to treat this myself.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
Photos are posted below.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Deep liter method that is 8 weeks old.

A039FAFA-31F2-4B50-983F-4F069BF65D58_zpsujgxxypa.jpg

Hello, You should try Chamomile tea, I steeped the bag in boiling hot water for about 5 minutes, wait till the bag is room temperature, then place gently on swollen eye, do this twice daily and hopefully she will improve in about 5 days.

Please keep me updated with your hen's progress!

~Meg

I would bring the chick inside in a dog crate with food and water available. Get some saline (contact lens saline from WalMart or a pharmacy is good,) and clean the eye after wetting it for a few minutes to soften the pus and crust. Remove any gunk with QTips. An antibiotic eye drop such as Cipro would be very good to obtain from your local vet, and you can flush it with some saline until you get some. The bacterial infection in the eye could be from a peck, from dirt and droppings getting into the eye, or possibly from a respiratory disease causing sinus infection. Make sure the chick is eating and drinking well, since she probably cannot see her food and water that well. If your local vet could be of help, I would ask. Cipro eye drops for chickens (Google that) has been available online from Hakes First State Poultry Supply in the past, but your vet could help much sooner. Let us know if you are seeing any sneeze, cough, gasping, watery eyes, or nasal drainage.

I have been taking care of the girl and despite her condition has been in a good mood. The more I cared for her injury the more I became convinced it was not pox.

Yesterday the "scab" fell away and she seems to have had her eye plucked out. Poor girl.

But she is soldiering on and seems to be none the worse for wear. She eats, drinks, runs, etc. with the rest of the flock.

4DFCC6E6-4839-4727-9901-36E1FE238530_zpszl8agzin.jpg

Back
Top Bottom