Eye Issue - What in the World?

@Shezadandy, Yes. I was expecting pus, too. It’s still swollen (though liquid-filled is probably a better description) today with no difference from yesterday’s saline flush. I’m super tempted to put a needle in it to see what happens…but worried that if there is an infection that it could make it worse.

I’m still applying the erythromycin ointment 2x/day. (Which was available without prescription.) I could do an oral antibiotic, but that would be an expensive vet visit. Here in Georgia, vets are required (legally) to charge a visit fee (~$60-70) on top of the treatment fee. Last time we had a pneumonia in our chicken, it was a $380 bill.

Hm - if it was anything other than an eye I'd be poking it to see what came out too, but I know from my own run-ins with eye injuries that they are very painful, and you'd be poking through eyelid instead of just normal skin for any other type of lump.

I hear you on the $380 vet bill. Check out https://jedds.com/collections/poultry - you might be able to find terramyacin closer to home, I think I got mine from the feed store animal health area - also don't know if there's any material difference between the erythromycin vs. the terramyacin ointment for this, so there might not be any real reason to switch. Jedds has a wide array of oral antibiotics too, if you're looking to have a couple things on hand, though it will take a couple days to get to you. I'm not sure what would work best in this scenario for oral antibiotics, or IF they would help, especially if it's "just' an eye injury- which, at least in humans, is treated with ointment antibiotic stuff.

I would keep up the saline flushes and ointment, especially if there are no other symptoms and she's eating/drinking and otherwise OK.

@Shezadandy Thank you! I will check out that store. Always good to have antibiotics on hand. I will finish the 10 days of the erythromycin and see how it looks; if no improvement then I could switch to the Terramycin.

THANK you for sharing your personal experience about poking the eye. I tell you, I’m so tempted…so glad you are talking to me about NOT doing this.

I had some pain meds left over from the chicken who had pneumonia, so gave them to Duckie. Poor girl. This has to be painful for her!

Back
Top Bottom