TheresaWolf29

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 3, 2017
Today I noticed my Ameraucana hen was still alone. She is the smallest, but usually not a loner.
A closer look revealed that her left eye was missing.
I scooped her up, took her into the house and tried my best to squirt saline solution into her eye socket. Her eye was closed, of course, but there was muscular movement under the surface. I cleaned squirted it with Celine solution a couple more times the first hour then I put neomycin ophthalmic ointment on top. (happened to have it on hand from another pet injury)

She is isolated from the flock. Anything else I should be doing?

Is she in pain? Should I give her an anti inflammatory like aspirin?
Any special diet?

Thanks to everyone!!
14DCC1D1-5429-4FC6-B1C6-AE40EDCE1AC0.jpeg
361A8F14-6467-45AB-B006-046A82B44B7F.jpeg

I think you already took good care of your chicken...
for now I would keep an eye on her to see if she’s not getting an infection and I would give her time to heal in a quite place.

please check if your other chickens stay healthy and not pecked at..
in caseyou have one member of the group who is the bully.

Today’s photos. Better or worse? A little clear seepage from the eye, but nothing gross

Attachments

• AADDC0C2-A296-4846-9299-7E4FCEC12BD3.jpeg
    AADDC0C2-A296-4846-9299-7E4FCEC12BD3.jpeg
    598.4 KB · Views: 18
  • B6F13DFB-4892-4F3A-92A7-94B35A2680C1.jpeg
    B6F13DFB-4892-4F3A-92A7-94B35A2680C1.jpeg
    492.6 KB · Views: 21
@Isaac 0 do you have additional tips too? This poor chicks eye has been picked out and disinfection has already been done. In my opinion it still doesn’t look good. And she might need to be seen by a vet. But if this is not an option are there other treatments to suggest?

My hen who was pecked in the eye a few years ago had swelling inside the eyelids, so it was nearly 5 days before I could determine that the eye was still there. There may be pus in the eye socket from the injury or a respiratory disease. The bacteria could be MG, A. paragallinarum, the bacteria that causes coryza, E.coli, others. Pus should be squeezed out or cleaned out for eye ointments or drops to help. Can you see any pus around the eye socket? This video is quite graphic, but shows how to remove pus:

I have removed the pus that was in the area where the eyelids come together. Do you think there is more? She blinks the eyelid, but it is empty and pink. When the eye tears, it is clear.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    515.1 KB · Views: 16
My hen who was pecked in the eye a few years ago had swelling inside the eyelids, so it was nearly 5 days before I could determine that the eye was still there. There may be pus in the eye socket from the injury or a respiratory disease. The bacteria could be MG, A. paragallinarum, the bacteria that causes coryza, E.coli, others. Pus should be squeezed out or cleaned out for eye ointments or drops to help. Can you see any pus around the eye socket? This video is quite graphic, but shows how to remove pus:

That is an awesome video!!

I watched the video. When I squeezed her eye, I got two large deposits of pus. Each one was like the one in the video. Is that something I’m going to have to do every day? The eye is still swollen. I put more Celine solution in it and more ice I meant on top. I just want to know what to look for as it heals. I don’t want to disturb the eye anymore than I have to. I can’t thank you enough for your help so far!

Good job on removing the pus from around the eye. Pus can reaccumulate, so just check for it. Applying Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment can be helpful to clear up an infection in the eye. If it is from a respiratory infection, it may be necessary to treat with an oral antibiotic. Tylosin, doxycycline, or oxytetracycline, may be found online sometimes for pigeons to give orally or in the water.

Back
Top Bottom