1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eye problem, free range peacock

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by MountainPea, Dec 21, 2015.

1. MountainPea

MountainPea Out Of The Brooder

Yeah I was also thinking sinus, after doing a bit of reading. He sometimes opens his beak like he's trying to make a sound but nothing comes out. Poor thing. I just wish I didn't have to go to hospital with my daughter tomorrow! I'll contact the vet at least; got their number today but they're closed for the holiday.

2. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    I hope everybody recovers.

1 person likes this.
  3. Vitoria

Vitoria Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2015

Can you get Amoxicillin?
    A drop into his beak might help. Let's see what the vet says though.
    May he get better soon, I.A.

4. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

That yawning can be a sign of respiratory problems, gape worm, or something else. Respiratory infections will have other signs too like, wet or runny nose, weeping and crusty eyes, wiping the eye on the back and shoulder, puffy and swelling of the eye and sinus area just below the eye. And of course the classic signs of any sick pea is the withdrawn head into the shoulders, general rough looking feathers, and droopy wings. Standing about and little interest in getting away and not eating are also signs to watch for. If you catch him you can look inside his mouth for mucus.

I would still gather some of his fresh droppings in a baggie and have a vet do a fecal float exam so you will know exactly what to treat for.

1 person likes this.
  5. MountainPea

I've just called the local vet. Explained the situation to the receptionist and she is getting someone to call me back. He is not worse, but he's not getting better by himself so I need to do something. Yet again I'm in hospital (until at least Sunday, possibly Monday) so I can't do anything until next week anyway, but I thought I'd at least make the call and get the ball rolling. He seems to be hanging in there so I think he'll be ok until next week, but I don't want it to go any longer than that. Poor boy :(

6. Birdrain92

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Staying in hospitals are never fun. My mom hated staying in the hospital and was always wanting to go home but she couldn't. I wonder if maybe eye solution could kind help. Since the vet has been contacted hopefully everything will go smoothly for the peacock.

7. MountainPea

A vet returned my call, he's going to meet me at our place as soon as possible when I get home. He's going to bring a de-lousing treatment and some antibiotics. Because he's free range the vet said he'll bring one that I can add to his water and I just change the water every couple of days. He said that legally he can't administer medication without actually seeing him first, and it's going to be too difficult for me to get him to the vet. A house call is my only option. I am glad we can hopefully help him.

8. Birdrain92

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    I'm sure an antibiotic will do him some good if the eye got infected or anything.

9. MountainPea

Yeah I hope so

10. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    California
    Wow, you are so lucky to find a vet that will do a housecall for your boy! [​IMG]
    Let us know how it goes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by