Eye problem, free range peacock

He drank by himself! I checked on him after I got up (it's now 8:40am Tuesday where I live), and I stuck the water container right in front of him. He was sitting down on the other side of the coop from the water and I was interested to see if he could drink. And he did! So happy :)
It'll probably be a slow recovery, but it's looking good so far.

That's good! Though you might be surprised out how fast they can sometimes recover. With some illnesses they can recover really fast as other illnesses not so much! Did the vet tell you what was wrong with your peacock and what may have caused it?

Yeah possibly. He said the eyes, lungs, sinuses etc are all interconnected so I guess it all developed from there. Plus the mite infestation didn't help so I'm glad the powder will take care of that.

Not even put off by my kids being right there, having a big drink :)

My vet told me that respiratory infections are normally a secondary infection brought on by a weakening of the immune system. Causes are many, parasites like mites, lice, worms, and cocci are the main ones, but any stress can also cause it especially when the immune system is already in jeopardy.

My vet told me that respiratory infections are normally a secondary infection brought on by a weakening of the immune system. Causes are many, parasites like mites, lice, worms, and cocci are the main ones, but any stress can also cause it especially when the immune system is already in jeopardy.

Interesting you should say that, because he has gone through a change in ownership since we moved in. The old owners moved out, leaving him alone for at least a few weeks before we took possession. He seemed quite happy foraging around, but he's had the same owners for 8 years so it's possible he was affected by the change. But it could also have been the mites. He was riddled with them. He let me check his skin today and I found lots of dead ones so the powder is working.

Back
Top Bottom