Eye problem in 5 week old chick

niqueie

Songster
6 Years
Aug 23, 2013
San Diego - Rancho Penasquitos
I haven't noticed it till today. I'm not sure what is happening with the eye. I have 20 chicks and only one has some squinty/shrunken in eye. Not sure what to do for her. I'm a newbie. Her are some pictures.

One more of bad eye.

A picture of good eye. It actually looks bigger than the other birds her age. But the eye looks healthy.

Sometimes this happens in babies. Sometimes it happens at hatch, and sometimes it develops a little later. The only thing you need to do is rinse the eye with plain water and then put some triple antibiotic ointment on it. Nothing fancy, no specific brand name. Just regular people first aid triple antibiotic ointment/neosporin type stuff. That usually fixes it within a few days. I just had 3 baby Light Brahmas that each had an eye issue in one eye. Ointment once or twice a day for 2-3 days fixed them right up. Good luck!
smile.png

Sorry for the delayed response, have not been on. I'm sure you've probably separated it by now. If not, you can go ahead and separate it, you can never be too safe. When they are first hatched it's hard to say what it's from. Sometimes it's an injury from hatch that causes irritation that can lead to an infection. Sometimes it's just something that simply irritated the eye. The triple antibiotic ointment should fix them right up. Hope treatment is going well.

Back
Top Bottom