Eye problem since birth

Poliwag

Songster
11 Years
Nov 19, 2008
Australia
My one and only chicken has had an eye problem since it was born. The first few days after it was born it had gross grey stuff forming over its eye. It ended up completely covering its eye. Eventually the grey stuff faded away but the eye was very wet and sticky which caused the fur around the eye to stick to it. I had to cut off a lot of fur around the eye.

The chook is 2 months old now and still has the eye problem. It's not as bad as it was but the eye is preducing a lot of liquid. My chook is shaking its head a lot and splashing the liquid in its eye everywhere. There is also bits of grey mushy stuff around its eye. Apart from the eye problem, it seems healthy.

Edit: Added pictures.

The first picture is the good eye and the second is the bad one.

CameraPictures043.jpg

CameraPictures048.jpg

It has a few sores around its eye. You can't really see in the picture but there is a bit of liquid just below its eye towards its mouth. Also, the fur isn't growing back around its eye.

Last edited:
Poliwag, if there is any way you could take a pic of both eyes and post the shots up, you'll be able to rely on plenty of eyes here taking a look for you.

Take care!

Thanks for posting these excellent photos! Since this has been going on since hatch, and it is only one eye (rule out nematodes/CRD etc. for sure), I'm wondering if this isn't some chronic infection attributable to an anatomical anomaly that resulted in a partial occlusion (narrowing) of the nasal lacrimal duct (tear duct)???

To knock down some of the inflammation I'd probably be adding plain aspirin to her water (crush three of the 81mg. St. Joseph's per pint).

The difficulty is in knowing which `bug(s)' the poor girl is hosting. A vet might use anti-steroidal for inflammation/antibiotic ointment/drops/anti-fungal.

You might try keeping the area rinsed/flushed, a couple times a day with lukewarm sterile saline (boil 1/4 tsp salt in a quart of water for five minutes>make fresh daily).

Terramycin opthalmic ointment (vet.) is available OTC (about $15.00). I'd be spending those bucks on a vet exam.

Hoping someone else chimes in.

You keep taking good care of your miracle chook, and best of luck!

Thank you for all of the information you have provided.

Unfortunately, she died today. She was sickly today but I didn't think she was even close to dying.
She was fine yesterday. It's just not fair ._.

Back
Top Bottom