Eye problem

mstricer

Crowing
13 Years
Feb 12, 2009
Ohio
I have a hen with a swollen eye, it appears she runs her head on feathers and feathers are discolored from the rubbing. We tried getting puss out and got nothing. She's eating, drinking, comb is red, free ranging. Has anyone seen this

She may have just accidentally scratched her eye. I had a gander with eye issues for a while. Terramycin ointment and Curicyn drops worked well.

I alternated between the 2 of them several times a day. Twice a day with chickens should be enough since they aren't dunking their heads like waterfowl.

Doe she have any bubbles in the eye? Or sneezing? It may be too soon to see pus if her eye has just become swollen. A sting could be possible, something such as a seed pod in the eye, or a peck wound are possible reasons for swelling around an eye. Then there is the most common reason, a respiratory infection. I would keep her eye clean, and you cannuse saline eye wash (Baush and Lomb or generic, ) and Terramycin eye ointment, Vetericyn eye gel p, or Curacyn eye drops is fine to use twice a day. Try to look for any debris in the eye. I have used plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment in a pinch. The Curacyn eye drops is available on Chewy.com as well.

She may have just accidentally scratched her eye. I had a gander with eye issues for a while. Terramycin ointment and Curicyn drops worked well.

I alternated between the 2 of them several times a day. Twice a day with chickens should be enough since they aren't dunking their heads like waterfowl.
Where can I obtain those meds

Doe she have any bubbles in the eye? Or sneezing? It may be too soon to see pus if her eye has just become swollen. A sting could be possible, something such as a seed pod in the eye, or a peck wound are possible reasons for swelling around an eye. Then there is the most common reason, a respiratory infection. I would keep her eye clean, and you cannuse saline eye wash (Baush and Lomb or generic, ) and Terramycin eye ointment, Vetericyn eye gel p, or Curacyn eye drops is fine to use twice a day. Try to look for any debris in the eye. I have used plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment in a pinch. The Curacyn eye drops is available on Chewy.com as well.
I just found some teramycin drops that we used on one of the cats

Back
Top Bottom