Eye Problem

MaCall

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 10, 2013
Hello! I am new here and need some opinions. I bought 3 French Copper Marans and not long after I got them both eyes of one of the pullets started looking weird. The roosters seem a little swollen in the same area but not as bad. Her eyes have been like this for about a month with no other symptoms. Any ideas about what's causing it or how I should treat it?

Hello! I am new here and need some opinions. I bought 3 French Copper Marans and not long after I got them both eyes of one of the pullets started looking weird. The roosters seem a little swollen in the same area but not as bad. Her eyes have been like this for about a month with no other symptoms. Any ideas about what's causing it or how I should treat it?

Have you tried cleaning out your chicken coop? High concentrations of ammonia can sometimes irritate their eyes and cause long-term redness and swelling. Also, how dusty is it in your coop? Dust, too, can cause irratation.

You might also consider treating your flock with an antibiotic, like Tylan50 or Oxytetracycline (sold under names like Duramycin, Tetroxy HCA-280, and Terramycin), as swollen eyes can be a sign of a respiratory disease. Perhaps try putting some Terramycin ointment in and around their eye, as that will often help.

Yea the coop is dusty and even though I do clean out the coop it gets poopy fast! They free range in the day so they were only in there at night. My poor Marans are so scared of my older chickens that they huddle in the corner on the coop floor at night. That might be the problem. They have been in their own pen for about a week and the amonia isn't a problem there. How long should it take for it to start getting better?

Last edited:
Hi just wondering the same thing. I have a bird that looks perfect on one sides eye but the other eye looks all small and sunken slightly. I little goopy but not much. No one else has anything. I have 20 other birds. I just changed feed to medicated starter from non- medicated. Because one of them was showing problems. Also I put Corid in the water. What is going on with her. I'll post pictures. It looks like the picture above though. My bird is 5 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom