eye problems in 3 day old chicks

dadsgirl

Songster
11 Years
Jun 30, 2008
jay, florida
i have 2 - 3 day old bantam chicks , one's eyes are completely shut, like he is blind, the other one keeps matting up, does anyone know what this is, what causes it? and what i can do for them,

thanks, angie

I'm new to this but I've been around many animals all my life.
My first response would be: What are they exposed to? Newsprint? Shavings? Is their food new or is it moldy?
Whatever the case is, the first question is always about the animal's environment.
Other than that, there is probably something at your local tractor supply or Co-Op to wash the eyes with.
If not, I would just take a soft clean damp cloth and wipe them very gently.
Best of luck to you!

there are a few illnesses that can be passed to chicks through the egg from the parents. I would just keep wiping the eyes with warm water to control the matting, some neosporin or terramycin ointment might be beneficial also.

Well, I had a problem of one chick that kept pecking at the others' eyes! I ended up with two chicks that each had an eye completely shut. At first I thought maybe the meany chick had pecked out their eyes! Each check had an eye that remained closed for about 2 or 3 days before they were able to open them back up. I had to remove Ms. MEANY and put her in chicky jail for a couple of days before returning her in with the others. She would even peck the other chicks' toes and then drag them around the brooder by their toes!

I don't think she was really a mean chick -- she was just very curious ... those little eyes and toes on the other chicks were just fasinating to her LOL

Sometimes I will give mealworms to chicks and when they are looking for more they will grab the toes of other chicks and run around dragging the chicks, lol.

If you have them under a white heat lamp, change to red, it will cut down on the pecking if this is going on. Then, I would mix some terramycin in with the water. I would also clean eyes good with just warm water. I would get some Vet RX and rub a LITTLE on the nostrils. I just got a little black jap banty over this and this is what I did for my chick. I gave the antibiotic by a tiny dropper. I just took a little bowl and mixed a little with like a tablespoon of water. I would try to get a whole dropper down her. The dropper was tiny. I did this for 4 days and my chick is better now. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom