Eye scratching and death in day old chicks

Littleshadow

Songster
Jul 5, 2017
this first incident happened about two nights ago. I found a chick with her eyes scratched all the way to the bone. (This chick did not make it). I thought it was an isolated instance. However today I came home and another chicks eye was inflamed and bleeding. I thought maybe her companion was pecking her so we took her with us to get some medication. The other chick was left home and he was completely fine. No injury whatsoever. When we came home his eye was also swollen and bleeding. He was alone so nobody could have done it to him.
So I am completely lost and would like some help.
Why are they scratching? It’s only there left eye. Am I missing something?
I checked for mites but can’t find any.
The buff hatched yesterday and the blue one this morning. There sister hatched and died 3 days ago.
Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 9
Where are you keeping them?

Look for signs of ants or other insects that may be biting them.
For the eyes, I would flush with saline and put a little Terramycin or Vetericyn eye gel in the eyes.
I would also get some Poultry Nutri-Drench into them either mix it in the water or direct dose them 1-2drops daily.

Hopefully someone else will chime in.

I appreciate your response<3

Brooder is a rabbit hutch that’s completely sealed off from the outside. Of course there is a ventilation but that’s covered with tiny wire that a beak can’t even fit through. So rats couldn’t get it. Maybe mice if they are really insanely talented, but I’d think they would have killed all the chicks, not just harmed there eye. Plus the birds don’t even seem shocked or scared. The rabbit hutch is separated into two brooders. One for day olds and the other is for the chicks until they are about 7-8 weeks. Nothing else is wrong. Just the left eye on both of them. Again I’ve hatched a lot of chicks and this isn’t anything I’ve ever seen.
The adult chickens can’t get anywhere near the brooder (even though it is outside) Because I have two separate pens. Adult pen and young pen. So I don’t think the adults have anything to do with it.
The eyes are healing, one chick is missing part of her eyelid but she’s happy and running around so I don’t think that will bother her much. They aren’t acting sick. I’ve considered them having eye worm but they are Less then a week old and the eyes aren’t puffy or leaky. Just bloody.
The two new chicks are completely fine. So I don’t think it’s an illness.
I’m just stumped!

Where are you keeping them?

Look for signs of ants or other insects that may be biting them.
For the eyes, I would flush with saline and put a little Terramycin or Vetericyn eye gel in the eyes.
I would also get some Poultry Nutri-Drench into them either mix it in the water or direct dose them 1-2drops daily.

Hopefully someone else will chime in.

Got some terramycin from the vet awhile back for a hen. The vet told me to be careful when applying it to not hurt the eye or make it more inflamed
Day old chicks here are always started on probiotic water mix so that’s a plus!
Ants are bad around the coop however I’ve only seen maybe two in the brooder max. However that could very much be the cause.
I’ll post pictures today. The buff finally has his eye open.

Ants could be the problem. I would feel around for anything sharp in the rabbit hunch, such as fencing, or a sharp edge on a feeder.

Back
Top Bottom