Chicken breathing heavily after attack

JNC

Songster
May 5, 2020
Kendallville Indiana, US
We had an attack on Sunday that killed one of our chickens very brutally. We suspect it was a raccoon since we’ve seen them around here. This morning it came again. Thankfully my dad was able to run out there in time. He said the animal ran with the chick then dropped it as it went crawled underneath our shed. But he said it was too dark to distinguish the animal. The chick is around 4months old and we checked it thoroughly and only seems to have a small puncture. We cleaned it and sprayed blue-kote on it. We brought her inside as she doesn’t seem to be doing very good. She is standing and breathing very heavily and looks very laborious. She’s not panting or anything but is standing with her eyes shut. She won’t sit down. I gave her some ibrepoufen but she still looks kinda bad. Can I push her down slightly so she’ll sit? I can’t imagine standing all day What should I do? Also should I be worried that she’s staring to smell bad??
The picture below is of the chicken that died on sunday

Graphic***

IMG_7660.jpeg

Raccoon right?

Here’s a picture of the chick that got attacked today. We brought her inside to isolate her since it looks like she doesn’t want to be bothered
image.jpg

Is she staring to rot because she smells bad???

Check for maggots and give her a bath. Make sure to make it a mildly warm bath so she dosent get mad and try to run away. Also blow-dry her after, if might hurt her to touch the wounds.

Check for maggots and give her a bath. Make sure to make it a mildly warm bath so she dosent get mad and try to run away. Also blow-dry her after, if might hurt her to touch the wounds.
Wouldn’t the bath stress her out more. Also the puncture is on her wing. Could it get infected that fast from this morning? What do you recommend me cleaning it with? Rubbing alcohol?

So sorry for your loss :"( I hope your chick makes a healthy comeback <3
I think giving her a bath still wouldn't be a bad idea, some chickens are good with them and some aren't, but definitely give it a try.
I've personally never used rubbing alcohol to clean wounds on my chickens, so someone else may have to chime in on that. But I use vetericyn plus poultry care spray or banixx horse & pet care spray. I always clean the wound as much as I can before spraying. Banixx is safe to use around the eyes btw, I had used it before when one of my ducks had a wound on his eyelid/around his eye. You can get both at tractor supply.

A small bowl of water, scrambled eggs and some small bits of fruit is what I usually leave with any chicken to eat/drink that has to stay inside. Wishing the best for you and your chicky!!

Wouldn’t the bath stress her out more. Also the puncture is on her wing. Could it get infected that fast from this morning? What do you recommend me cleaning it with? Rubbing alcohol?
Wait, it's on her wing? I must have not noticed that detail. Then just give her a lookover.

It sounds like your chick is in shock. Don’t try to bathe her right now. Treat shock first. Mix up an electrolyte solution using 1 cup warm water with 2 tsp of sugar and 1/8 tsp of baking soda and 1/8 tsp of salt. Try to get her to drink a little of that. You can instead use room temp Gatorade or some nutridrench mixed with water and a little sugar if you have any of those on hand. Place her somewhere warm, quiet and dim to recover. You may have to gently dip her beak in to get her to drink some of the solution. Check her in a while and if she is doing better check her wounds over and treat them then. Edit to add, don’t worry about trying to make her sit, she will be okay and don’t worry about the smell until you treat the shock and she pulls through that.

When she is calmed down rinse her wound with saline solution and pack it with neosporin or another ointment. Make sure the ointment has no pain relief in it.

Last edited:
It sounds like your chick is in shock. Don’t try to bathe her right now. Treat shock first. Mix up an electrolyte solution using 1 cup warm water with 2 tsp of sugar and 1/8 tsp of baking soda and 1/8 tsp of salt. Try to get her to drink that. You can instead use room temp Gatorade or some nutridrench mixed with water and a little sugar if you have any of those on hand. Place her somewhere warm, quiet and dim to recover. You may have to gently dip her beak in to get her to drink the solution. Check her in a while and if she is doing better check her wounds over and treat them then.

When she is calmed down rinse her wound with saline solution and pack it with neosporin or another ointment. Make sure the ointment has no pain relief in it.
I seccond this. If the scale of injury was not known I would recommend a bath, but this seems like shock.

Back
Top Bottom