Eye Stuck Shut? Other cloudy?

ponysyd

Hatching
7 Years
6 Years
Jan 23, 2013
My hen went blind a few months ago in one eye, it got very cloudy and grey (first picture). She adjusted well to the change and was doing fine.

Lately though her other eye, which was the good one appears to be stuck shut (second picture). What could this be? She's still eating and drinking, when I help her near the bowls but she's not very active, stands or lays down.

Is she doomed or is there something I can do for her? None of my other hens have any symptoms and this all started in January.

She might have gotten something in her eye and doesn't want to open it
hmm.png
. You could try to open the eye and see how it looks and maybe wash it out with water? If not her eye might be sealed shut from a infection in it and you could try giving her antibiotics to help the infection.
sad.png

My rooster has a blind eye and he gets around pretty good but he had trouble pecking strait. So I had to help him practice and now he does good eating and pecking in his pen on his own. As long as your hen get to using her eye again she should get to be doing just fine.
big_smile.png

She was blind in her left eye from the cloudiness so she went through that learning curve already. But now the eye she depended on is the one that's shut so she really can't see at all. I washed it out today and the eye looks fine, just a little grey-er instead of orange like normal. Why would she be keeping it closed?

I realize that this post was last month and I don't know if you resolved the issue with your hens eye...I just wanted to say I had a rooster that died from mareks...and I did a lot of research when he was sick....blindness and gray cloudy eyes can be a symptom of the mareks...if anyone has chickens with gray cloudy eyes....check for mareks. Blindness is another symptom, along with paralysis sometimes (which mine had) and they will sit with one leg out to the front and one behind...that's a classic symptom. My guy started with a limp...the next day that leg was paralyzed and he was dragging it...a few days later he had no movement in either legs...

I realize that this post was last month and I don't know if you resolved the issue with your hens eye...I just wanted to say I had a rooster that died from mareks...and I did a lot of research when he was sick....blindness and gray cloudy eyes can be a symptom of the mareks...if anyone has chickens with gray cloudy eyes....check for mareks. Blindness is another symptom, along with paralysis sometimes (which mine had) and they will sit with one leg out to the front and one behind...that's a classic symptom. My guy started with a limp...the next day that leg was paralyzed and he was dragging it...a few days later he had no movement in either legs...
That was my first thought

Back
Top Bottom