Eye swollen shut!

donnielee

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2016
Edina Minnesota
Hello all - I have four chicks who are four weeks old. The quietest one who gets picked on a lot now has an eye that is swollen shut. There is no drainage, but it is swollen. I have antibiotic ointment that I'm going to try. Anyone have further input?

I'd separate it and use Neosporin on the area until it gets better. Terramycin is good as well. The chick will get picked on when you return it back with the others, but at least it'll be healed. Otherwise, it could be pecked to death.

Also, maybe see if there's anything you can do to help keep the chicks busy. Add things for them to do - roost bar, chick stick, toilet paper roll, etc. Make sure they have space.

Last edited:
I'd separate it and use Neosporin on the area until it gets better. Terramycin is good as well. The chick will get picked on when you return it back with the others, but at least it'll be healed. Otherwise, it could be pecked to death.

Also, maybe see if there's anything you can do to help keep the chicks busy. Add things for them to do - roost bar, chick stick, toilet paper roll, etc. Make sure they have space.
Mg

Back
Top Bottom