Eyes dialted/strange head movement/not eating drinking or standing

SHF1214

Chirping
Feb 21, 2020
Hi… we have a Cinnamon Queen that is about 4yrs old ….she is not standing, eating or drinking…her pupils seem dilated and she moves her head oddly like if you were reading back and forth on a screen. (I have a video but I can’t figure out how to post it🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️)… her eyes aren’t grey as with Mareks. She is not droopy and her comb is red… We checked for all the usual suspects… i.e. egg bound, crop issues etc this is something we’ve never seen in our 5 years of chicken keeping. Any ideas?
If someone can explain how I can post a video I will. Thanks in advance! Well maybe I did attach a link… the background noise is the dryer as we have our isolated in the laundry room. Cinnamon

She seems to have suddenly lost her eyesight. We moved our finger towards each eye and she did not react.

Pictures of the eyes in good light would be helpful. Do you see any cloudiness inside each pupil? Could she have gotten into something poisonous? Was she walking normally yesterday?

Spring is a time when mold can become a problem. The symptoms you describe are consistent with mold toxicity. Look in the coop and run bedding for signs of mold. Use your sense of smell. Mold has an unpleasant odor. Check your stored feed bags. Smell it. Look for signs of moisture and clumping that may have a bad smell.

If you have a compost pile that has thawed and previously spoiled food was tossed there, chickens can be exposed to mold.

It's important to rule mold out. If you find any evidence of mold, steps should be taken to treat this hen or she could die. Symptoms would be imbalance, lameness, confusion, weakness.

Insecticides can also cause these symptoms. Exposure to automotive fluids, oil, transmission fluid, etc can cause similar symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom