eyes shut breathing through mouth

14was1521

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 22, 2016
Alton, VA
2 days ago, my 2-1/2 year brahma did not come out of the coop, when I went to her, the eyes were shut, her beak is open slight. No discharges are to be seen, no breathing disturbances, but I can't get her to drink or eat, has had about a teaspoon of water in 2 days. I live in the Southern VA area, weather has been rainy, cold, and the brahmas are molting. Could getting cold cause this? I put her in a crate, brought her in the house, and a general look, she is fluffy, and alert (other than the eyes closed), moves around. Does she need an antibiotic? Any suggestions? My thought is that she got cold, and could this affect her organs? Any input is greatly appreciated, I am 50/50 to take her to the vet and have her euthanized.

I'm sorry she isn't feeling well.

When was the last time she laid an egg?
How does her belly area feel and what does her poop look like?

Any new birds brought in recently and have you ever has to treat for coccidiosis in the past?

I would give her a thorough check all over. Feel her crop to see if it is empty and flat, partly full, hard, soft, doughy, or puffy. Look her skin over around and under her vent and elsewhere for tiny bugs that may be lice or mites. Place her in a pen or dog crate temporarily with food and water, and on an old towel or puppy pad to see what her poops look like. Offer some cooked egg, her usual chicken feed and some water to see if she will take that. If you have Poultry NutriDrench, offer a few drops orally as a boost. Then along with answering Kiki’s questions, we might be able to help. Molting can be a cause of stress, and cold weather will sometimes bring on an illness.

I would give her a thorough check all over. Feel her crop to see if it is empty and flat, partly full, hard, soft, doughy, or puffy. Look her skin over around and under her vent and elsewhere for tiny bugs that may be lice or mites. Place her in a pen or dog crate temporarily with food and water, and on an old towel or puppy pad to see what her poops look like. Offer some cooked egg, her usual chicken feed and some water to see if she will take that. If you have Poultry NutriDrench, offer a few drops orally as a boost. Then along with answering Kiki’s questions, we might be able to help. Molting can be a cause of stress, and cold weather will sometimes bring on an illness.
Thanks for your reply, everything is normal, my vet (who is a chicken owner too) told me first to moisten her eyes and get them open. My friend helped me and her eyelids are not stuck shut but just closed, we flushed them out, saw her eyes. What we did notice is her throat area is not soft feeling, but has a firm feel to it. (I compared the feel to another brahma and that one was soft and "pliable"? normal. This is concerning, as we put some drops of water in her mouth and it took a couple seconds for her to swallow. She cannot see, so she will not eat or drink, no interest. I am hopeful something will change, but in my heart I feel a vet trip is close by, and she will not come home with me.
Egg laying for everybody stopped about a month ago, except for one, and I think that is another Brahma, and out of 9 hens I was getting a minimum of 5 in the coop, and would find one or 2 in the yard. The dark brahmas are going on 3 years in 2019, the others are 5 years and older. Thanks for ya'lls input, Lois

Back
Top Bottom