EYP hen going into nesting box??

They did an ultrasound and told me there was no fluid, but didn’t tell me if they found material or anything else. I’m going in again for a checkup in a week or so.
I would ask them when you go in, if there's material in the abdomen or at least for them to clarify what they saw for them to come to the conclusion that she has EYP.

Yeah if the vet did an ultrasound and found fluid for example it might be hard to say whether it is fluid from internal laying or from ascites from the liver without doing blood tests to check the liver and heart function. If there is soft tissue it might be hard to say whether it’s cancer or inflammatory material from the oviduct etc. It can be difficult to know for sure and tests rack up the costs very quickly unfortunately.

From what I’ve read about EYP it’s fluid build up from the yolks but over time the yolks harden and then any infection is going to cause an inflammatory response.

If your hen is laying, eating and drinking, her poops are normal and her crop empties overnight, that’s the best you can hope for. The implant can be a good preventative and/or treatment for any number of reproductive issues so if you’re worried about her but don’t have the funds to get everything tested to be as certain as possible, it’s a good option to take.

I lost a hen recently who always had this bulge under her vent and I was always concerned it was something but never knew what it was — hernia, fat, cancer — and upon necropsy there was nothing out of the ordinary in her abdomen or organs so it just goes to show how individual , random and mysterious these creatures can be.

Last edited:
My buff cochin with potential EYP is going into the nesting box to lay an egg after she goes out into the run every morning, to eat and hang out.

She has been squawking quite loudly. Other than her belly she seems kind of okay?

What does this new behavior mean? Is it that she is trying to lay an egg but won’t be able to?
Clementine is now laying eggs regularly. Her eggs are normal and hard shelled. Her abdomen hasn't gone down, though. What does this mean?

Clementine is now laying eggs regularly. Her eggs are normal and hard shelled. Her abdomen hasn't gone down, though. What does this mean?

Did you end up taking her back to the vet for the check up? What did they say?

If she’s laying eggs and eating and pooping well then that’s a very good sign. There is usually some degree of persistent inflammation in active layers. The truth is it could be any number of issues. Does her belly feel hard or is it just squishy but larger than normal? I remember the vet said no fluid?

Did you end up taking her back to the vet for the check up? What did they say?

If she’s laying eggs and eating and pooping well then that’s a very good sign. There is usually some degree of persistent inflammation in active layers. The truth is it could be any number of issues. Does her belly feel hard or is it just squishy but larger than normal? I remember the vet said no fluid?
Not yet, I will soon, though. Yes, the vet said she has no fluid.
Her belly feels firm but not hard. Its a little springy and has some give if i apply pressure.

Back
Top Bottom