EYP?

mdsn

Chirping
Sep 25, 2020
We have a approx 1 year old hen who has always been a consistent layer, and often large eggs.
She is lethargic, and not eating or drinking (she will eat sporadically but barely anything) standing on her own and not moving fluffed up and closing her eyes
We have treated for Corid, and given antibiotics with no improvement.
I have checked for egg bound but could not feel anything.
Just now when I was checking her she squirted out what looks like runny yolk and a small poop with blood (see pictures) she looks incredibly uncomfortable
Am I right in thinking this is potentially EYP or do you think there's anything else we can do for her?

Attachments

• 20210512_131404.jpg
    20210512_131404.jpg
    844.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210512_131359.jpg
    20210512_131359.jpg
    864.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210512_130633.jpg
    20210512_130633.jpg
    942 KB · Views: 9
Update: we made the decision to humanely euthanize her, she was deteriorating rapidly, sometimes the fairest decision is the hardest one 💔 rest easy sweet Sassy

Update: we made the decision to humanely euthanize her, she was deteriorating rapidly, sometimes the fairest decision is the hardest one 💔 rest easy sweet Sassy
Good job.

What exactly do you feed your flock?
Also when was the las/ most recent time you brought new birds home?

Good job.

What exactly do you feed your flock?
Also when was the las/ most recent time you brought new birds home?

We feed purina layer feed and we brought home a new hen a week ago but she is still quarantined from the rest, we're pretty strict on cross contamination and the others are fine. She stopped laying a few days before we bought her home, so I'm 99% sure it wasn't from her.
The rest have been together since 8 weeks. She was always a constant layer and big eggs, so when she stopped it was noticeable and we started looking into what was going on and separated her, checked for egg binding etc.
Just over a week of treatment and close observation with no improvement

:hugs for future reference I would have treated with a more comprehensive wormer, such as safe-gard

Our whole flock were treated with safeguard as the first thing we did when we noticed some poop change before being able to narrow down to who had the weird poop specifically before we separated her :)

We feed purina layer feed and we brought home a new hen a week ago but she is still quarantined from the rest, we're pretty strict on cross contamination and the others are fine. She stopped laying a few days before we bought her home, so I'm 99% sure it wasn't from her.
The rest have been together since 8 weeks. She was always a constant layer and big eggs, so when she stopped it was noticeable and we started looking into what was going on and separated her, checked for egg binding etc.
Just over a week of treatment and close observation with no improvement
Do you feed treats?

Our whole flock were treated with safeguard as the first thing we did when we noticed some poop change before being able to narrow down to who had the weird poop specifically before we separated her :)
The new birds may have brought home a new strain of coccidia too. I understand you say you keep them quarantined but it is extremely hard for most people to properly quarantine. It is highly likely that stuff gets blown in the wind or moved around on shoes.

The new birds may have brought home a new strain of coccidia too. I understand you say you keep them quarantined but it is extremely hard for most people to properly quarantine. It is highly likely that stuff gets blown in the wind or moved around on shoes.

Oh absolutely, the only reason I say I don't think it was from the new hen is that she stopped laying before we even brought the new one home.
And yes to treats, scratch occasionally but not often.

Back
Top Bottom