EZ Frame Chicken Coop Build

I know it's a little bit late to be mentioning this, but it might help someone else who decides to build an EZ frame. I just looked at Lowe's and a 2x4x8 is $3.35, where a 2x2x8 is $3.38. For essentially the same price as one 2x2, you could buy one 2x4 and rip it on a table saw to make two 2x2 boards. For your purposes, I'm not sure that Lowe's would rip the board, so it's probably just as well, but for anyone with a table saw, they could cut their 2x2 wood costs in half.
I haven't made all the way through this thread, but I'm enjoying what I've seen so far.
Yes! If we had a table saw that would be much more affordable! We are quite limited in the tools department due to space and expertise 😆 So we paid for it! But it sure would make things even cheaper to do what you suggested! Maybe when I get my house with land I will get brave and buy real tools! 😁

I know it's a little bit late to be mentioning this, but it might help someone else who decides to build an EZ frame. I just looked at Lowe's and a 2x4x8 is $3.35, where a 2x2x8 is $3.38. For essentially the same price as one 2x2, you could buy one 2x4 and rip it on a table saw to make two 2x2 boards. For your purposes, I'm not sure that Lowe's would rip the board, so it's probably just as well, but for anyone with a table saw, they could cut their 2x2 wood costs in half.
Years ago I watched someone rip 2x4s into 2x2s with a hand-held circular saw.

He used a combination of boards and clamps, so the 2x4 stayed in place and the saw was guided along a board on one side. It took a certain amount of thinking and tinkering to set up, but then it worked just fine.

Whether it's worth the bother would depend on how many boards are needed, and how easy it is to set up with the supplies a person already has. There's a point at which it definitely is easier to buy either the 2x2s or the table saw, rather than cobbling together a guide for a different style of saw.

I haven't made all the way through this thread, but I'm enjoying what I've seen so far.
Except that a 2x4 ripped is actually 1 1/2" x 1 3/4".
Thinks the 2x2's you buy as is are 1 1/2" x 1 1/2"?
Might not fit correctly into the EZ frame sockets?

I used to have a great lumber yard/man who would rip 2x4's for me,
built a lot of stuff from them.

Yes, that is very true! The frame kit is sized for 2x2s so you are correct that it may not work real well in this specific case! And the 2x2s fit very specifically in the joints.

I've done this before, it just means that every 2x4 board is ripped twice, There are 2 2x2s and a strip of about 1/4" lath. It is easier if you can boards to length before ripping, though. That, or you need some input and output supports with the saw.

The residual bit of lath is only about 1/4" because you have the wood lost to the saw kerf. I did it for rabbit hutches, and used the extra lath to cover the wire edges.

I've done this before, it just means that every 2x4 board is ripped twice, There are 2 2x2s and a strip of about 1/4" lath. It is easier if you can boards to length before ripping, though. That, or you need some input and output supports with the saw.

The residual bit of lath is only about 1/4" because you have the wood lost to the saw kerf. I did it for rabbit hutches, and used the extra lath to cover the wire edges.
Depending on how much waste the saw kerf causes, I might try ripping each side of the board to square the edges a bit and then rip down the center of the board. That's a lot of extra cuts, but might be worth it. As @NatJ said, it would really depend on how many boards were needed. If a project only needed 10 or so, I'd probably just spend the extra money and buy 2x2. It's a matter of whether the time spent ripping the 2x4s is worth more than the cost savings, and that ends up being a personal preference.

In my case it didn't matter....was just that he didn't carry 2x2's because they weren't really wanted and they were usually warped. I saw the same in larger lumber yards and big box stores.

He bought really nice 2x4's and was happy to rip them for me.

If I was going to rip 2x4's for use with an EZframe, I'd just pare down the ends so they fit the frame sockets.

Well the EZ Frame coop is awaiting the weekend when we have time to measure out coop doors and fiddle with the bigger doors…so we spent tonight getting some of the scraps coop up and in place. I am by no means a carpenter and neither is my husband. That is what I am learning! The little things we just don’t know that we are learning along the way are the most annoying parts. I didn’t think about the thin nature of the plywood so all the hardware has screws that are too long and sharp. So we have to add wood shims all over the place and it’s annoying 😆 Both of us work all day, so between annoying shims and screws and fighting children and annoying dogs barking constantly—I am definitely fried. 🤪

Anyway—here’s what we’ve managed to pull together using the spare wood and plywood so far! Painting trim and need to decide if I’m going to paint the roof—thinking a metallic rose gold…since that’s what I have on hand 😆 Or white—white just seems like it would get dirty sooo easy. I don’t know though—I may just leave it plain, I’m tired 😆

FF62EE8F-9A14-40A0-913F-B854EE0A9A50.jpeg

4C8B99E8-F856-4E00-BB8F-CC6B81CAB788.jpeg

Well the EZ Frame coop is awaiting the weekend when we have time to measure out coop doors and fiddle with the bigger doors…so we spent tonight getting some of the scraps coop up and in place. I am by no means a carpenter and neither is my husband. That is what I am learning! The little things we just don’t know that we are learning along the way are the most annoying parts. I didn’t think about the thin nature of the plywood so all the hardware has screws that are too long and sharp. So we have to add wood shims all over the place and it’s annoying 😆 Both of us work all day, so between annoying shims and screws and fighting children and annoying dogs barking constantly—I am definitely fried. 🤪

Anyway—here’s what we’ve managed to pull together using the spare wood and plywood so far! Painting trim and need to decide if I’m going to paint the roof—thinking a metallic rose gold…since that’s what I have on hand 😆 Or white—white just seems like it would get dirty sooo easy. I don’t know though—I may just leave it plain, I’m tired 😆

View attachment 3405767

View attachment 3405768
Lookin good! Love the flooring.

Back
Top Bottom