EZ Frame Chicken Coop Build

Good luck with your project! I think it's gonna turn out great.

Just a suggestion: maybe keep tabs on how much you spend throughout the project. That way at the end you can report back and it might help others thinking of doing this in the future. Only if you feel like it, but just a thought. :)

If you need to cut it, which we tried to avoid, this tool is a great investment -- especially because it will save your hands when cutting the hardware cloth too.

https://www.harborfreight.com/35-amp-18-gauge-metal-shears-61737.html?_br_psugg_q=metal+shears

Don't get the other one that looks more ergonomic. That one takes out a kerf and will leave your ground salted with tiny bits of sharp metal that the birds might eat.
Thanks!! I know very little about quality vs not quality tools, so recommendations are awesome!

Metal would be great we have it on my other big coop someone else built for me, I’m just intimidated by the cutting process. Maybe Lowe’s can cut it for me…hmm.
I think you can order metal roofing in precut sizes from the big box stores. That’s what I did from Menards. Not sure if you have Menards in California.

I think you can order metal roofing in precut sizes from the big box stores. That’s what I did from Menards. Not sure if you have Menards in California.
No Menards, but I’m pretty sure Lowes will cut to your measurements for you. :) I’m sure I could find a use for the scraps from the cut! This might be best! Then I could avoid the plywood sheathing cost. My other coop with a metal roof has been great without the plywood.

The roof is going to have a plywood sheath and then I will be attaching PVC roof panels to the plywood. It will be wider than the roof and longer by 1.5 or 2 inches. Plan to do this, only with plywood underneath to nail the roof closure strips to and then nail the panels to the strips. My inexperienced mind thinks this should work, will it? :) My plan is to have the run be slightly angled downhill from where it connects to the coop and have water run off the coop roof onto the run roof and down to the end of the whole structure and down to the drain at the end of the sloped part of the yard.

View attachment 3367830

View attachment 3367823

In this smoky color :)

View attachment 3367833
I wish I'd used the clear version of that when I revamped my run. I used transparent tarps and I'm having issues with rainwater pooling on them.

I wish I'd used the clear version of that when I revamped my run. I used transparent tarps and I'm having issues with rainwater pooling on them.
Depending on your structure, wire batt supports/insulation supports might work to raise the area where you are getting water pooling. I think they come up to 24" long and you would pop them in between your rafters or purlins to create a slight arc up. Just a thought and good luck.

Depending on your structure, wire batt supports/insulation supports might work to raise the area where you are getting water pooling. I think they come up to 24" long and you would pop them in between your rafters or purlins to create a slight arc up. Just a thought and good luck.
That's great advice. Thank you! :D

I cut my steel with tin snips. Luckily I didn't have to cut much but it's doable. Just wear good gloves cos it's sharp. Also, having learned from a horrid mistake recently and a trip to ER, I found a great way to cover sharp metal edges, once the roof is on, is get a few foam pipe insulating covers. they fit perfectly over the edges and protect you from any brushing against the sharps.

I cut my steel with tin snips. Luckily I didn't have to cut much but it's doable. Just wear good gloves cos it's sharp. Also, having learned from a horrid mistake recently and a trip to ER, I found a great way to cover sharp metal edges, once the roof is on, is get a few foam pipe insulating covers. they fit perfectly over the edges and protect you from any brushing against the sharps.
I did look at getting some tin snips! And I will definitely look into the protection on the edges! 😳 Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom