F1-F2-C1 question

KalikoFarms

Songster
8 Years
Jun 14, 2011
I am so new and am learning about the terms for breeding chickens but I just for the life of me cant figure out what that means???????
F1, F2,F3 and I have seen C1,C4. I know this is a breeders term but what does it mean. And if I am in the wrong place to ask this question please direct me to the right place.
Thanks to everyone very much
Rita

f1 is the first cross f2 secound cross f3 3rd cross
so say silkie to naked neck is f1 showgirl
f1 to a silkie would be a f2
f2 to silkie would be f3 and so on till u get what u tring to breed

Quote:
Ok here I go..

say you want to cross Bird A with Bird B.
the chicks from that mating are the F1. the F stands for fillial, but we will not go there for the sake of simplicity.

if you cross F1 with each other you will end up with F2.

now if you want to have more birds that look like Bird A you take a F1 and mated back to Bird A.(Parent line A)
the birds that hatch from Bird A mated to F1 will be called B1A(Back cross to parent line A).

now if you want to have more birds that look like Bird B you take a F1(from first hatch) and mated back to Bird B(Parent line B)
the birds that hatch from Bird B mated to F1 will be called B1B(Back Cross to Parent line B)

THANKS I think I get it now. I will get the hang of it.
thumbsup.gif

Thanks
Rita

I am going to find me a book that will help me hopefully! Any suggestions?

Quote:
any basic high school or junior college biology text book.

Last edited:
Quote:
Not quite,

PAxPB=F1
F1xF1=F2
F2xF2=F3

PAxF1=BC1A
PBxF1=BC1B

I prefer in a back cross to use the F2 or F3 and only go back to PA or PB for additional color which ever carried the color I wanted. By making selections through at least 2 generations and preferably 3 I can select for Type, then Type, Then Color, then back cross for Color, then go back to the F2 or f3 for type again.

Back
Top Bottom