F1 OE, araucana over marans, having health issues?

Phoenixxx

Songster
8 Years
Aug 8, 2012
Boutilier's Point, Nova Scotia
Hi everyone,

So I ordered a whole bunch of eggs a year ago that were left to cook in a warehouse for a week, so I only got a handful of birds to hatch. Of the blue copper marans, I got one hen; of the araucana, I got a red and blue rooster. So, I thought, why don't I put them together for an F1 olive-egger?

I have done 4 hatches, and I've been having poor hatch rates compared to other eggs that are set with them. Not only that, but some of the rumpless chicks seem to have an internal development issue, where their butts just leak (the white stuff) and after a few days, they die.

I know the double-tufted gene is lethal, but is there something else I'm missing? Google has not been helpful in helping me find answers. I would also love to hear experiences from anyone who has cross-bred araucanas.

Thanks!

I just ordered both Araucanas and Marans this past summer as well. While I intend to breed both independently, I hope to hatch some Olive Eggers as well. Green is my favorite color....

I ordered my Araucana from Ann Charles at SkyBlueEggs. I cannot recommend a breeder more fully. She replies to every email I write about even the most silly questions, like "What color is this chicken?"

She recommended a wonderful treatise on Aracuana called "Araucanas Rings on their Ears" by Cathy Brunson. It can be purchased here http://www.araucana.net/merchandise/

It has been immensely helpful for me. It discusses the precise problems with tufted birds, describing all the genetics responsible for the problems. It's well worth the read if you're interested in breeding Araucana.

I would try to summarize it, but I'm such a newb myself that you're better off reading it yourself!

Good luck and hope we stay in touch!

MZ

Thanks for that link. I'm not having issues with any of the tufted chicks (they would automatically be heterozygous due to the one parent being a marans), only with the rumpless ones. As for the poor hatch rate, I have no clue what's responsible for that, although I suppose it could be (lack of) fertility.

I just checked that lady's website, but it says she no longer sells hatching eggs. I'd like some more, but have no desire to deal with the fellow I got my other eggs from. He was OVER A YEAR in sending me replacements and I only got one chick out of 12 eggs! Unfortunately, he's probably the only breeder in Canada.

Yes, Ann Charles sells only chicks that she's hatched. I'm sure there are all sorts of reasons for that. But it would be tough to ship eggs from Louisiana all the way to Canada, especially now that it's getting cold. I wouldn't want to risk that.

Have you seen this breeders list from the Araucana Club of America? I'm not sure how up to date it is, but you might find someone here who will ship you eggs. http://www.araucana.net/breeders/

A final option is always eBay. They definitely have vendors selling Araucana eggs. I have had mixed success with eggs I've bought from eBay, but you might get a good price, so it may be worth checking out.

Let us know!

Yes, Ann Charles sells only chicks that she's hatched. I'm sure there are all sorts of reasons for that. But it would be tough to ship eggs from Louisiana all the way to Canada, especially now that it's getting cold. I wouldn't want to risk that.

Have you seen this breeders list from the Araucana Club of America? I'm not sure how up to date it is, but you might find someone here who will ship you eggs. http://www.araucana.net/breeders/

A final option is always eBay. They definitely have vendors selling Araucana eggs. I have had mixed success with eggs I've bought from eBay, but you might get a good price, so it may be worth checking out.

Let us know!
The problem is that only NPIP certified folk can ship eggs to Canada; I did notice that Ann had that certification. As far as shipping from LA to where I am, it would be faster and better then getting eggs from "that guy" in Alberta - at least Louisiana is close to my time zone (atlantic canada for me), so expidited shipping should, indeed, be expedient ;) I agree that now is not the time due to this early winter, but when spring arrives, we'll see. I will check that site to see if there are other NPIP breeders who are able to ship cross-border.

It's possible that the problem isn't down to the pairing of breeds, but the pairing of individuals. They might both be carriers of genetic traits that, when combined, are lethal, but if you paired them with different stock it would go fine.
Stop breeding those two. The problem is evidently genetic, which means even the seemingly healthy chicks may be carrying it. IMO, even though different mates could solve the problem, I might not breed those two at all.

It's possible that the problem isn't down to the pairing of breeds, but the pairing of individuals. They might both be carriers of genetic traits that, when combined, are lethal, but if you paired them with different stock it would go fine.
Stop breeding those two. The problem is evidently genetic, which means even the seemingly healthy chicks may be carrying it. IMO, even though different mates could solve the problem, I might not breed those two at all.
A very interesting perspective, thank you! I will take this under advisement :)

Back
Top Bottom