F1cross

western edge

Songster
Apr 5, 2010
Edge of the Bakken

Couple of F1s from heritage RIR x Dominique. Note the rose comb. These guys are only 4 months in this picture. Gona put them over some rb hens i am creating with a good utility rir hen and a GFF RB rooster..... a rosecomb rhodebar i guess.

Interesting. I always assumed a Dominique was Silver not Gold to avoid red leakage in the plumage. And with the Dominique based on Extended Black (I thought) I'd expect a whole lot less red showing through anyway. I guess that's what I get for assuming. It's always fun to see what you actually get when you make the cross.

The rose comb is dominant. That cross should be split( R,r) so half his offspring will inheriut the rose gene and half won't.

I'm not sure what you mean by RB rooster?

Unusual color pattern for the cross- your domi are carrying genes not normally found in barred birds. The F1 males should be black/barred with a small amount of red in the hackles. The males in the pictures will make it easier to produce a Rhode Bar.

Tim

The males in the pictures will make it easier to produce a Rhode Bar.

Tim
Not Quite... he is Carrying both E(ER could also allow for so much Pheomelanin expression) and eWh(from RIR) which are NONE Rhodebar genes....

if he is to cross him to a RIR/Rhodebar hen(e+/eWh) he could cull the E(or ER) chicks but could have a hard time culling the eWh/eWh and eWh/e+ birds, not to mention the huge amount of chicks he would need to hatch just to be able to obtain the eWh/e+ chicks in the first place...

Not Quite... he is Carrying both E(ER could also allow for so much Pheomelanin expression) and eWh(from RIR) which are NONE Rhodebar genes....

if he is to cross him to a RIR/Rhodebar hen(e+/eWh) he could cull the E(or ER) chicks but could have a hard time culling the eWh/eWh and eWh/e+ birds, not to mention the huge amount of chicks he would need to hatch just to be able to obtain the eWh/e+ chicks in the first place...
this means all E ER eWh genes must be culled ? And that would take several generations to bring these genes out? Bare with me, I need to study the genetics for beginners a little more. Sorry, the GFF RB ment greenfire farm rhodebar.

Last edited:
Interesting. I always assumed a Dominique was Silver not Gold to avoid red leakage in the plumage. And with the Dominique based on Extended Black (I thought) I'd expect a whole lot less red showing through anyway. I guess that's what I get for assuming. It's always fun to see what you actually get when you make the cross.
The rose comb is dominant. That cross should be split( R,r) so half his offspring will inheriut the rose gene and half won't.
I'm not sure what you mean by RB rooster?
So my dominiuqe strain my have had gold somewhere in them you think? Thought they should have been mostly bared myself. Sorry about using initials... GFF RB ment greenfire farms rhodebar

The others responding are more expert at this than me, but if the Dominique mother had silver, I'd expect it to suppress the red a lot more than that in her sons. A little gold leakage, yeah, but nothing like that.

I'v done this cross (Rhode Island Red Male over Dominique Female) a number of times and I never had that much Gold in a F1 cross.
What color was the Hens?

Chris

I'm not sure why you wanted to use the Dominique? Was it for the rose comb? You can find both rose combed and single combed RIR's. A rose combed RIR might be easier than the Dominique hen for the rose comb in in your project if the rose comb is your goal and if you can find a good one.

I realize it is also possible you have other reasons for wanting to use the Dominique. I'm just guessing the rose comb might be a reason.

Good luck!!!

Back
Top Bottom