Face-to-face with daytime raccoon, now what?

trap and relocate them?
Don't do that. It is likely illegal and just puts the problem on others. Trap and eliminate them. Get a good 22 cal air rifle to dispatch them, quite in the burbs.
Look into dog proof raccoon traps, bait with marshmallows but do not set for a few days, just keep baiting them and when you see the bait is gone every morning it is time to set trap. Anchor them well, then use a pitchfork to push the coon to the end of chain and dispatch with airgun.

Or make a coon proof run and keep them in it.

There are so many raccoons where I live, there there were four here. My siblings left Mexican food at the door to our house 🙄.
1678800223631.jpeg

We’ve also seen a raccoon suspected of rabies, it was walking like it’s back legs were paralyzed in place. We ran it up a tree even though it wasn’t scared of us, and my dad shot it with something (don’t know if it was a gun gun or not) like 5 times before it would die. We’ve also seen raccoons and opposums in broad daylight that weren’t scared of us (raccoon not opossum). The raccoons are the ones that killed all our chickens. Just taking their heads off and leaving the bodies.

LOL well i'm not going to cut its head off. It was just a nice way to say its going to be killed for being suspected. I have been finding raccoons dead or dying the last few months here on the coast. Distemper has been reported to be very bad this year and i can give witness. My dog has attacked two sick raccoons while walking in the woods the last month.
You gotta consider that some people could take you seriously. You never know who might be reading :)
In case you don't already know - make sure your dog is up to date on it's shots the distemper raccoons get is canine distemper.

We have this problem where I live. The expert I consulted said that if you are seeing them during the day they are very acclimated to humans and comfortable and prolific. So, yes, it will be back. If it doesn't have success it might give up. I had a raccoon attack and had to move the girls to a different run while I shored things up. Had another attack early one morning last fall. Both attacks happened when the hens were sleeping out in the run but that's another story lol. The expert told me that if a raccoon gets scared it will emit an odor to warn other raccoons to avoid the area. He also said they leave a scent trail and this gets reinforced when they don't encounter a threat. This might sound gross but we haven't had problems since I had my husband and his friend use the area around the chicken run as an outdoor urinal when they're drinking beer and working on a car. I have no scientific evidence this works and its obviously not for everyone lol
Thank you for the laugh today. I needed it. Also, very interesting

Back
Top Bottom