facial recognition

louie2037

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 10, 2012
Western, New York
Does anyone know if your chickens can recognize you by sight? When I go anywhere near their run, they go nuts; vying for attention, jockying for position and if I enter the pen, they'll eat out of my hand. They'll come to the fence for my wife, but they don't really care for her being inside the fence, and will not eat from her hand. Our youngest daughter stayed with us over the weekend while her husband hunted with his family. She came out to see the chickens, help feed them, and let them out for the day. When she came into the coop with me, they went to the far rooste, bunched up, and were totally quiet. (The Rhode Island red clucked very low, and with one of those long clucks; almost as if there was a question mark at the end of it!)

When our household pets are out, they sniff all the way around the fence, and the chickens don't seem to react, they don't run to the other side, or run into the pen; which they do from stray household pets. So, who can answer my question?

I think for sure they know their caregiver. They may respond to food being brought to them by someone else, but they that it is a different person and are weary of strangers.

Back
Top Bottom