Fading away

artsyrobin

Artful Wings
15 Years
Mar 1, 2009
Muskogee OK
Lost another hen to the 'fading' disease- she had never been near the others= all the same symptoms- quit eating, only drinking - poop is dark green with little urates... no other signs- i am clueless- this has been going on periodically since last winter

could be roundworms........ just because you don't see any, don't mean they aint got em........ i know this because i started losing birds... everyones fine then 1 slows down/ lethargic..., then dead......... get some wazine, 7 bucks....... add to water..... worth a try........... after treatment i did find a couple dead worms in poo..........good luck

Wazine only works for roundworms... I would use Safeguard for goats and give .5cc/kg orally, not in water and repeat in 10 days. I would also dust for mites/lice even if they can't be seen. You can get the dust and the wormer at TSC.

Are they free range or contained?
What are you feeding?
Do they have access to light, good ventilation?Clean coop?
Do you put any thing in drinking water?
Have you had a fecal test done?

ok, i gave them safeguard paste- maybe its not doing it? wazine first, then the ivomec drops between their wings, and the safeguard- i will change to the liquid safeguard- this has been an issue for the last 8 months- has had me totally stumped- in this girls case, she was a bantam, kept seperate with her mom, a one legged game hen- the others i lost were all standard size who were able to free range periodically- i havent't had a fecal done-

go with wazine first........ i think it's the only one for roundworm, and that sounds like your prob......... then ivermectin pour on in 10-14 days...... a few drops on skin between wings....

I discovered in reading dosages, i wasn't giving them the correct dosage- 1 ounce per gal? i had it in my head a tsp... so 2 T is one ounce... ?

If you are giving Safeguard for goats (fenbendazole), you can give it at the rate of .5cc/kg as an oral drench. If any are not drinking, they will never get the proper dose of wormer from drinking.

Back
Top Bottom