Failing at this turkey thing???

The little box pictured was what they arrived in. I cut out the middle and let them run into this bigger brooder as a transition to my xxl brooder.

Im only keeping 5 and they will go into the xxl brooder after they are all eating and drinking well.

Ill put a probe thermometer on my list.

Thank you!
In my opinion that is still too small for a brooder.

I agree this tote is not a good brooder. I should have led with it was a holding area until i pick 5 and drop off the rest to my friend tonight.
I planned on putting them in with 5 chicks but now I have concerns about coccidiosis since the chicks pooped this rust color. I just dont want to take chances.

The turkeys are warm and eating well. Guess I wasnt expecting them to be so snuggly.

Anyone have thoughts on this chicken poop pic?
Looks a little red to me. Maybe I just being overly worried.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 3
I planned on putting them in with 5 chicks
You are much better off if you don't brood them with chicks. The imprinting that happens can be harmful to your chickens once the turkeys are grown up. Turkeys not being able to understand that chickens are not turkeys and treating the chickens like they treat each other can end up very badly for the chickens.

Thanks for all your advice on the turkeys. These are happy, healthy poults. They didn’t need chicks to teach them to eat! They are doing it on their own. So they will be kept separate from the chicks.

Temperature is sorted out - for now. But, I dont like the ceramic lamp. It seems to run well and then get hotter than expected. Anyone else have this experience? I usually keep it in the first week or two for chicks to get the hang of the heat plate. Seems like the turkeys need more heat then the chicks do. Just my observation on day 1 of being a Turkey mother.
Nobody told me how sweet the connection with a turkey is. I mean seriously this one little girl seeks me out for snuggles. They cry for me until I gather them for bed like a hen does.
They just look lovingly on me and dont scream when picked up. Im sooo in love with these creatures.

Back
Top Bottom