Failure to thrive 5month old Barred Rock

Hawaiichick107

In the Brooder
Aug 2, 2021
I have a 5 month old pullet that is very thin and not much appetite. She is half the size of the rest of the flock who are the same age. She never has been aggressive in eating as the others are. She picks at the chick crumbles but never has a full crop. I feed medicated chick starter crumbles with a treat of dried fly larva, a handful of scratch grains and veggie/fruit scraps for them to pick at. They also get several hours of free range time daily. Her stools are formed and appear normal. Not sure what else to do at this point. Any suggestions?

Welcome To BYC

Can you post some photos of the pullet and her poop?
Have you fed medicated chick starter for 5 months? If so, I would start transitioning to unmedicated starter or an all flock feed.

Some birds just don't thrive very well, they may have genetic and/or developmental issues.
If she's not getting her crop fill, then you may need to take her aside and see if she will eat for you. Get some poultry vitamins into her a couple of times a week as well.

Some chickens like their feed wet. Just put the usual feed in a dish and add water.

Wet feed will not hurt any of them, and might encourage the thin one. Depending on how many chickens are in the pen, you might need to serve it in several dishes, so they can all eat at once without shoving each other away.

You don't want wet food to sit around long enough to spoil or grow mold, but it is safe to let the chickens eat as much as they want of it. Of course if they eat a lot of wet food, they will eat less dry food, but that's not a problem because it's got the same nutrients either way.

Welcome To BYC

Can you post some photos of the pullet and her poop?
Have you fed medicated chick starter for 5 months? If so, I would start transitioning to unmedicated starter or an all flock feed.

Some birds just don't thrive very well, they may have genetic and/or developmental issues.
If she's not getting her crop fill, then you may need to take her aside and see if she will eat for you. Get some poultry vitamins into her a couple of times a week as well.
I double checked and the feed is Purina Organic chick starter crumbles, non-medicated. I switched to this about 2 months ago. She is the chick in the front. Of course this is my daughter's favorite hen so I am trying everything I can think of even though my suspicions are she may have a congenital defect. Her keel is very thin and I never feel her having a full crop. I do offer wet food as well which she likes but just picks at. She loves eating bugs and we "hunt" for things under rocks etc. She handles the scorpions, roaches, and centipedes like a pro but it isn't nearly enough. I don't have any experience with appetite supplements, any suggestions? I know this all may be futile but I want to do what I can.
tempImageAtJ1vQ.jpg
tempImagehhkTdM.jpg

I think all you can do is make sure she's eating.
Taking her aside to offer a few little special things like cooked eggs may be good.
You can find poultry vitamins like Poultry Cell at TSC. Direct dose is 1cc per 3 pounds of weight, but only give a couple of times a week.
Not saying this is the exact product you have to have...just look at the vitamin/ingredient list and if you find something comparable...

Poop looks ok to me.

1627993488677.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom