Failure to Thrive? A Bit Disheartened...

That's so sad that you had your chicken taken away. I really think it makes life fuller when you can give of yourself and love and care for an animal. They teach us so much and really don't ask for much in return.
I completely agree. There is nothing more innocent/pure than love of an animal and that relationship you share. They are so trusting, and to hold that trust is a great honor.

S, I’m really sorry for your chick loss. I have been amazingly lucky to have gotten 28 out of 29 chicks and quail through babyhood.
That's awesome. I'm really glad the vast majority of yours have lived. So far, I have come into parenthood of 24 newborn chicks total. This batch is really taking my average down. Prior to this, it was 1/16 now it's 3/24, so the average mortality has literally doubled. :hit Poor little babies. I'd do anything to save them. I wish there was something I could do.

That's awesome. I'm really glad the vast majority of yours have lived. So far, I have come into parenthood of 24 newborn chicks total. This batch is really taking my average down. Prior to this, it was 1/16 now it's 3/24, so the average mortality has literally doubled. :hit Poor little babies. I'd do anything to save them. I wish there was something I could do.

Of course you would! Sometimes I think they were iffy before we got them. And then you had that poor sticker chick. I think sometimes they just can’t be saved. We lost both of our questionable chicks. We tried, we cared but it was not to be. :hugs

Of course you would! Sometimes I think they were iffy before we got them. And then you had that poor sticker chick. I think sometimes they just can’t be saved. We lost both of our questionable chicks. We tried, we cared but it was not to be. :hugs
I feel just horrible about the sticker chick. I think it got that way during the drive home. I have no clue how, since I was SOOOOO careful, and didn't bounce the box or anything. Could it have climbed the straw? I can't help but feel it would have lived if it weren't for that. The stress was probably way too much.

I feel just horrible about the sticker chick. I think it got that way during the drive home. I have no clue how, since I was SOOOOO careful, and didn't bounce the box or anything. Could it have climbed the straw? I can't help but feel it would have lived if it weren't for that. The stress was probably way too much.

You didn’t do it. Yes it could have climbed the straw all on it’s own. And it was stupid to put the sticker there. You definitely didn’t do that. I hope you learn to be less hard on yourself. Really. As art has pointed out enjoy your living chickens!

Back
Top Bottom