Failure to thrive??

miss_thenorth

Songster
12 Years
Dec 28, 2007
SW Ont, Canada
I got my meat chicks on May 5. One of them, I pulled away from the rest a few days ago. It is not developing. It is approx. 1/3 the size of the rest I got. It sleeps all the time, and will eat and drink if you put it up the the food/water. Anyone know the prognosis for this chick? Can we nurse it back to health? it doesn't want to walk, but it can, but not very well--maybe from weakness? Its feather are not nearly as developed as the rest either.

Any ideas on what I whould do, or if I should cull?

I would try giving him some super high energy food. Sugar water, boiled egg, a vitamin supplement. Make a wet mash out of his chick crumbles and syringe feed him often, see if his strength goes back up. Maybe he was bullied by the other chicks during feeding time and wasn't able to eat often enough. Do you have enough feeders for all the chicks? Keep him separated but give him another chick to keep him company.
All the rest of the chicks are doing well? Their brooder isn't too hot or cold? Poo looks good?

Quote:
The brooder is an adequate size, they have plenty of room to get away ffrom or to the heat if needed. Right now, they are eating out of a big 20 lb. feeder, so no cramping. I do think that it was bullied. All the rest of the chicks are fine and huge. I will try syringe feeding it, but how often? I will also get it a friend. Thanks.

I'd offer him the syringed food every few hours or so and provide his regular crumbles free choice as well. Let him eat until he has a nice full crop . Hopefully he'll perk up soon and start eating properly on his own, it might only take a few syringe feedings to make him feel better if he just needs more nutrition.

Back
Top Bottom