FAILURE... UPDATE!!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by wilson95, Apr 18, 2009.

1. wilson95

wilson95 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2009
    I AM SO HAPPY!!! i got 6 red star pullets from TSC on 04,12,09. (there chicks still but marked as pullets). i made them a little run out in the coop yesterday 04,17,09. this morning when i got up 04,18,09 there run was down on one side and the chicks were all huddled together in one corner of the coop and 5 BIG chickens inside there run eating food and what not. i chased them out of there and they looked cold. so i have a HUGE HUGE HUGE but light cochin standard hen. (she is all feathers). but shes warm so i put them under her. she was making weird noises like she was saying "what am i supposed to do with em". she hasn't pecked so i think this might be successful. am the weird thing is i put them under her in the daylight. I HOPE THEY CAN HAVE A MOMMY.

P.S - in the chick pictures they where in my room. i moved them outside because i was getting sick.(stuffy nose and coughing).

here is the chicks:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and here is there momma:

[​IMG]

thanks for reading.

cole.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  2. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    Wow that's a big girl! I hope she keeps them![​IMG] Poor things are too little to be outside alone![​IMG]

3. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    oh I hope it works for you .. keep an eye on the momma .. I had my cochin broody forever and all her eggs exploded... so i put chicks under her and she did good for two days and on the third day she killed them [​IMG] I kicked her out of her broody pen and suck her back with the others..

eta: I just loved cochins.. and yours is gorgeous..

4. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    What a beautiful hen!!! She is just lovely! [​IMG] Sweet babies too [​IMG]

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

cute little babies you've got there. Momma hen is just gorgeous!

6. wilson95

Apr 12, 2009
    UPDATE

thanks everyone. [​IMG] she didnt keep them. [​IMG] i went out to check on her but she had kicked the babies out. ill try some other hens.

7. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    In the mean time, I hope you have a heat lamp for them to huddle under when they get chilly... Good luck

8. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    that is a lovely bird and some lovely chicks! good luck with them!!

9. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

They're really little yet, could you keep them in a brooder box in a garage, basement or back porch where they could have access to a heat lamp?

10. wilson95

Apr 12, 2009
    my coop is insulated and has 3 red 400 watt bulds. :]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by