Faint rasp in breathing - 4 week old chick

Honeysuckle x

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2023
British Columbia, Canada
Have a 4 week old orpington cockerel. He seems on track as far as growth. As of today I noticed when holding him that in certain positions I could hear a very faint rasp in his breathing, both inhale and exhale. It's only really audible with my ear next to his head and is not constant, but his flockmates all breath silently, so we isolated him for observation just to be safe. My wife let me know that she heard this faint dry raspiness as early as two days ago.
  • No others are showing the same symptoms.
  • There are no signs of trauma or injury.
  • We have recently moved him along with a group of 5 other chicks who are slightly older (4.5 weeks) but raised together outdoors full time.
  • Just starting a new flock so there are no other livestock birds on the property.
  • They are in a prefab shed that is fully enclosed, with straw bedding and a brooder plate.
  • It has been damp and cold lately, so that could be a contributing factor.
  • He, and all others have normal appetite, energy, and thirst. Poop is also normal.
  • Just treating with Nutridrench so far.
I'm not sure if this is something to worry about at all, but we wanted to be safe and prevent anything worse from happening.

I would place him back with the others as they are developing their pecking order. Just keep an eye on him. It may be a change in his voice, or the weather. If he has been exposed to something, the others would already be exposed. Just have a look at him for any bubbles or foam in an eye, or sneezing.

Yeah, that makes sense. His eyes, mouth, nostrils, everything is normal, so I figured we were probably just working ourselves up over nothing, but it's always good to hear other opinions. He and the others do sneeze, but not often, so I've been assuming it was just due to straw and food dust.

Back
Top Bottom