Fair CL group price for a starter flock?

DB_Tex

Songster
10 Years
Aug 11, 2011
Upshur County, Texas
I'm thinking about putting together a starter flock on CL... I've had great luck with my straight runs and I have some colorful excess females. The group I'm looking at putting together are 2 blue Swedish girls (poorly marked, but pretty and good tempered), a mallard hen, and either a golden 300 or purebred campbell, either with or without a black swedish drake with a decent bib (can't see the bib in the pic though). All are healthy:good weight, feathers in fab condition, and the girls are on the cusp of laying age. I'm thinking asking $60 and accepting $50?

2012-01-02_17-08-20_533.jpg

2012-01-02_17-08-11_531.jpg

2012-01-02_17-06-53_515.jpg

2012-01-02_17-06-35_250.jpg

2012-01-02_17-05-10_925.jpg

awww! but the mallard is so dang cute
hit.gif
......... good price though! im in love with that one blue swedish with the nice bib
love.gif

The mallard is incredibly beautiful... they're all nice ducks in their way. I love the navy blue speckle spots on the bibbed blue. It's not that I *mind* keeping them, but I picked up most of them as clearance hatchery choice peeps at the feed store for $2 and brooded them along with my harlies. The swede drake came in a meaties lot but he has good markings. At the time I told myself I'd process them if they were boys and trade them for boys if they were girls, and I guess it's time to make good
smile.png

It's a good batch if someone wants to get started on duckies I think. Mallards aren't known for their laying or their meat but she is a cutie pie and doesn't thrash around much when she gets handled
big_smile.png

Quote:
They all are
love.gif
I would take that mallard for you in a heart
tongue.png
but I dont have my bantam duck pen set up yet, and we arent anywhere close to each other
tongue.png

I think $60 is a good price
thumbsup.gif
I sold my khaki trio for $40 you could probably get a decent amout for them
wink.png

Swedish are a "fancy" dual purpose. The one's I've processed were very lean and tasty, and they still forage and lay a little better than most heavy breeds. A lot of people who keep backyard ducks really want "color" beyond your basic rouen or pekin and swedish fit into that niche. They are very challenging to breed for exhibition as the color requirements are very strict and you're dealing with a lot of completely separate color genes.

Oh, so those are very nice for a backyard starter flock then- either have them for meat or for eggs. That's the main thing I'd suggest, is being sure to list what the breeds' strong points are (or in the case of the Mallard, her personal strength of friendliness).

Back
Top Bottom