Help! Introducing a hen to Muscovy flock

Ozarkhomesteader

Songster
9 Years
Oct 18, 2014
Arkansas
Hey there! I have been keeping muscovies for quite a few years, but I am hoping someone who has some more experience will chime in! Any input or ideas appreciated!

So I have two separate breeding groups of muscovies this spring. I've decided to reduce to one group (1 drake and 3-4 hens) and sell the others. Love my muscovies, but have decided to focus on my geese and turkeys.

All is great, except I have one blue pied hen in the group I was planning to sell, and I am very fond of her! She is the first duckling I hatched from my own birds 3 years ago or so, and so I'm kinda attached. The drake I am keeping I am also very attached to.

The problem?? Sam (my drake) hates her. Every time I try to put her in the coop with him and his 3 girls, he bullies her relentlessly. And another hen in there tends to be mean to her too. They know each other, they grew up together, and free range together. Over winter they were cooped together too, and I had some bullying, but not too bad.

Is there any ways you guys can think of to help everyone accept each other?? I had a couple ideas, like penning her with the drake individually, and then maybe with the other bully hen, hoping maybe they would become friends if each other is all they have?

Or do y'all think I should just relent, and sell her with the other ones I'm selling?

I know this may seem like a silly question! But I was wondering if anyone has experience with this sort of thing and had some wisdom to share before I made a decision!

Thanks in advance for any advice!

When I have a bully Muscovy she goes into a crate at night for sleeping since everyone is closed up together. This way everyone gets a break from her, As for out doors try what you mentioned and see how it goes. All you can do is try. When my old drake died he had one females left and so I put her in with my old drakes son and his girls he hated her and would run her off but one of the females befriended her and eventually my drake also accepted her it took a while but up until she passed at age [15] they were all close.

When I have a bully Muscovy she goes into a crate at night for sleeping since everyone is closed up together. This way everyone gets a break from her, As for out doors try what you mentioned and see how it goes. All you can do is try. When my old drake died he had one females left and so I put her in with my old drakes son and his girls he hated her and would run her off but one of the females befriended her and eventually my drake also accepted her it took a while but up until she passed at age [15] they were all close.
Thank you so much for the advice!! That makes sense to lock the bully up to give her a break! I think I may try it, surely eventually they will all become buddies! It just may take some work ;)

Thank you!! Nice to hear it's worked for someone else.

something i do with bully ducks is I pick them up and carry them around and sit down hold them on my lap for a while in front of all the other ducks, it kind of humiliates them and they dont feel so high and mighty for a while anyway..

something i do with bully ducks is I pick them up and carry them around and sit down hold them on my lap for a while in front of all the other ducks, it kind of humiliates them and they dont feel so high and mighty for a while anyway..
That is very smart!! I do that with roosters who try to get sassy with me, and occasionally my gander during breeding season lol. Hadn't thought to try it with ducks bullying each other!! I will totally keep that in mind, thank you!

Also! Little update, got the other group sold, and so my blue hen is integrating into the other flock. It ended up being perfect timing, as the day after I moved her to their coop, the meanest hen started sitting on a nest :D
She is occupied most of the day, and Sammy (my drake) while not really accepting her, isn't going out of his way to bully her anymore. Maybe he realizes the other muscovies are gone and she has no one else lol. Either way, thing are going smoother than they had been, so I am hopeful she will be accepted soon!

Thanks to all who helped out!!

Back
Top Bottom