Fair price for Phoenix Trio?

Salixx

Songster
Jun 1, 2021
Central Vermont
I bought 8 mystery chicks at TSC at the end of May. They were already 3-4weeks old at the time and I was going for GLW. Being a newbie, I didn’t think it would be a big deal that I got something other than what I told the employee I wanted (I knew 8 of the 10 birds I asked for were not GLW). I really just wanted eggs after all and some meat.

Well, I was wrong. I ended up with 8 Golden Duckwing Phoenix, 3 cockerels and 5 pullets. Since this is an ornamental breed, they don’t get big nor do the females lay a lot of eggs. I don’t have room in my flock for most of them. The females do go broody and are more aware than my other pullets which is useful, and the males are stunning so I want to keep some. Two of the three cockerels are good boys, they are skittish but otherwise docile. I’m keeping one cockerel and two or three of the girls (haven’t decided).

That brings me to a fair price for a trio of 11 week old golden duckwing phoenix (1 male, two female)? What if it was a group of four instead? I have no idea of their quality or lines. I’m attaching a picture of the male in case that helps. Visually, I think he’s the best looking male, the one I am keeping is just showing marginally better protector behavior.

In case anyone is wondering about the third boy, he’s already been mildly aggressive with me, bullies the pullets off of food and is significantly smaller than the other two boys. He’s been named Dinner because I don’t think he has good genes. I have no kids and I’m not afraid of him so he’ll live a happy, full life until his day comes. The roo I am keeping doesn’t let him get out of hand with the smaller girls and the two GLW pullets are big enough to tower over him until he backs off.

I’m in Vermont, in case that matters. It may make it more difficult to sell the excess but I can keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 2B668179-6FEC-4AD1-B25B-94071BB288F0.jpeg
    2B668179-6FEC-4AD1-B25B-94071BB288F0.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 94
I bought 8 mystery chicks at TSC at the end of May. They were already 3-4weeks old at the time and I was going for GLW. Being a newbie, I didn’t think it would be a big deal that I got something other than what I told the employee I wanted (I knew 8 of the 10 birds I asked for were not GLW). I really just wanted eggs after all and some meat.

Well, I was wrong. I ended up with 8 Golden Duckwing Phoenix, 3 cockerels and 5 pullets. Since this is an ornamental breed, they don’t get big nor do the females lay a lot of eggs. I don’t have room in my flock for most of them. The females do go broody and are more aware than my other pullets which is useful, and the males are stunning so I want to keep some. Two of the three cockerels are good boys, they are skittish but otherwise docile. I’m keeping one cockerel and two or three of the girls (haven’t decided).

That brings me to a fair price for a trio of 11 week old golden duckwing phoenix (1 male, two female)? What if it was a group of four instead? I have no idea of their quality or lines. I’m attaching a picture of the male in case that helps. Visually, I think he’s the best looking male, the one I am keeping is just showing marginally better protector behavior.

In case anyone is wondering about the third boy, he’s already been mildly aggressive with me, bullies the pullets off of food and is significantly smaller than the other two boys. He’s been named Dinner because I don’t think he has good genes. I have no kids and I’m not afraid of him so he’ll live a happy, full life until his day comes. The roo I am keeping doesn’t let him get out of hand with the smaller girls and the two GLW pullets are big enough to tower over him until he backs off.

I’m in Vermont, in case that matters. It may make it more difficult to sell the excess but I can keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks in advance!
If you have not found a home yet, try posting in the buy sell trade forum for them.

I am sorry that you did not get a reply for so long!

If you have not found a home yet, try posting in the buy sell trade forum for them.

I am sorry that you did not get a reply for so long!

It’s all good! I kind of forgot I had posted it - so much has gone on in the last month!

I have been waffling too after reading posts on here from people who have Phoenix hens - many of them appear to be good, steady layers even in winter. That would make them more appealing to keep for me. The only real downside I have seen thus far is that they don’t like confinement very much. I have a rather large run with 4ft fencing that they regularly and easily fly over to get to the weeds. I’m tempted to let them do it except they can’t seem to figure out how to get back in 🤪.

Anyway, once I decide what I’m going to do I plan on posting in the for sale. No matter what, I’ll still have a cockerel the will probably need a new home and probably one of the girls, at least.

I have a bunch of 2 to (almost) 6 week olds that I need to narrow down too and it will probably depend on them. Most of my silkies are looking male and one of the GLW pullets is also looking not so girly so I might end up with fewer girls from that batch than I planned on.

It’s all good! I kind of forgot I had posted it - so much has gone on in the last month!

I have been waffling too after reading posts on here from people who have Phoenix hens - many of them appear to be good, steady layers even in winter. That would make them more appealing to keep for me. The only real downside I have seen thus far is that they don’t like confinement very much. I have a rather large run with 4ft fencing that they regularly and easily fly over to get to the weeds. I’m tempted to let them do it except they can’t seem to figure out how to get back in 🤪.

Anyway, once I decide what I’m going to do I plan on posting in the for sale. No matter what, I’ll still have a cockerel the will probably need a new home and probably one of the girls, at least.

I have a bunch of 2 to (almost) 6 week olds that I need to narrow down too and it will probably depend on them. Most of my silkies are looking male and one of the GLW pullets is also looking not so girly so I might end up with fewer girls from that batch than I planned on.
There are so many things to consider!

Chickens are fun like that.

You'll actually be surprised at the number of eggs they lay when not brooding. They're consistent layers and as long as they don't collect a clutch, they don't start sitting in my experience
X2 on this. My hens lay quite well when the eggs are collected. Mine will not go broody on an empty nest, but are quick to brood when eggs are left in the nest. To break them of broodiness, all that needs to be done is to remove the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom