Fairy Eggs (wind eggs)

image.jpg I get a fairy egg every other day from my RIR, she’s old! I just let her be! My son loves them bc they are yolkless!

why is that bad?
Because I thought they were fairy egg sized(nickle).
Now I see they are bigger than a fairy egg....so, yes, it's all good!
Can take days, weeks, or months to get up to a 'large' size.
A kitchen scale might help give you hope to gauge increases in grams that might no be discernible to the eye.

My first egg got here yesterday - my EE, Ash. Also her first. Just so you have something to compare with... she laid a 39 gram egg. I thought it was actually a pretty good size, for a first try! I haven't cracked it, since I'm not a fan of eggs for eating. Figured I'd just save them up and give them to the old lady down the way, who probably has a pair of binoculars trained on my pullets butts waiting for fresh eggs.

she laid a 39 gram egg. I thought it was actually a pretty good size, for a first try!
Yep, that's not bad.
My first batch of pullets I weighed and recorded all their eggs for 10 months.
There were only 6 birds and all eggs were unique enough to easily tell apart.
The smallest, that wasn't a fart egg, was 31 grams.

Here's a handy chart for USDA weight/size:

Wow- that chart surprises me. My hens regular eggs are 58-74 oz. I didn't know that was considered XL or jumbo!
I got an egg today that weighs 102 oz. Must be a double yoker. I like getting those! This one sitting on my egg rack next to the fairy eggs- its so funny. Ill try to remember to get a picture and post it.

Ok- weighing the fairy eggs was a fun idea!!- I hadn't thought of it.

Her first one (the smallest in the photo i posted) was 23 g. Then they went up gradually- like clock work- 25, 27, 29, 30, 31, 32, 36, 38, 39 and today I didn't get one. I'm so impressed that she is laying so many without skipping days. 10 eggs in 13 days.
Dont think any of my hens have done that before! LOL

Back
Top Bottom